2003 Pontiac Vibe GT / Toyota Matrix XRS Gearbox Rattle

I have a 2003 Pontiac Vibe GT and am experiencing a manual transmission problem. I have noticed a rattling/grinding noise coming from the gearbox that began at approximately 13k miles. The noise sounds like a grinding sound or something loose in the gearbox on decelerating or constant speeds in first, second, third and forth gears. When the clutch pedal is depressed, the grinding/rattling noise goes away. The noise can be replicated by keeping the engine speed at 1600 - 2200 RPM's with the vehicle in neutral. I brought the vehicle to a local service dealer and was contacted in less than two hours from the time of dropping of the vehicle and was told the noise was coming from a fastener and the vehicle was test driven by two people after the removal of the fastener and the noise was gone. When meeting with the service manager he handed me a rain-x box that was located in the trunk containing four fasteners stating they were the cause of the problem and the noise from the gearbox was normal. The service dealer diagnoses of the problem is not logical when you can hear the noise if you get under the vehicle at the location of the gearbox or open the hood and place your head near the gearbox and listen.

Is anyone else have this problem? If so I would like to hear about it.

Reply to
Sean R. Littlefair

Slicknick