Grinding/Rubbing noise on acceleration

Hi,
My Legacy '95 5spd. 145K miles developed a grinding/rubbing noise that could be heard on acceleration. When coasting in gear I can't really
hear it. In 2nd and 3rd, when accelerating, the noise is more like a grinding noise increasing in frequency as the engine speed increases. I can also hear a slight sort of clunking noise that seems to be coming from under the center of the front panel. In 5th it sounds more like a subdued rubbing noise.
I mentioned that to a Subaru dealership mechanic while I was changing the oil. He did confirm that there's noise, but said the noise is coming from inside the transmission and would not comment further on what it might be. I assumed that he didn't have a clue of what it might be.
I had a friend check drive shafts and wheel bearings and he thinks they're just fine. The gear oil is clean and there's enough of it. His only theory is that the noise is created by the transmission bouncing around because of the old transmission mounts, but he wasn't completely sure.
Does anyone have any idea of what this noise might be and what the appropriate course of action is?
Alex
i would say its either the engine or transmission mounts. observe the engine while it is idling. if it appears to be vibrating a lot than thats your problem. do this when the engine is cold and the RPM is hgher than usual.
good luck shaun
samara snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com (Alex) wrote in message

My 95 MT has the same thing. It sounds like either a noisy bearing (worn races) or something in gear box rubbing on something. Usually most noticable when doing a constant speed in 3rd or 4th on a residential street, where the motor and outside is fairly quiet. It is there in other gears and under accelleration, but drowned out by other noises.
I had read on another message board that someone had noticed that on gearboxes they've canibalized for parts, the gear selection forks, that move the collars back and forth, tend to worn or pitted so that they don't "float" of a film of tranny fluid anymore. I'm guessing this might be caused by the first 5 minutes of driving in very cold weather.
That being said, my Subaru dealership "master" mechanic said he's never seen a 5MT fail in a Legacy before (lots modded WRXs with broken 1st gears though). He said if I want to worry about something, I should worry about oilpump seals and the under body rusting!
--
Dominic Richens | snipped-for-privacy@alumni.uottawa.ca
"If you're not *outraged*, you're not paying attention!"

The noises that I am hearing are really on accelleration, not while doing a constant speed, and not even when engine-braking... Maybe I am misplacing the source of the noise...
I am just surprised how easily this particular Subaru dealership (I have never had any experiences with others) dismisses the "internal noise in the transmission" what they call it, but tries to tell you you need a new timing belt and front cam oil seals (I know I don't - I replaced them a few months ago), just because one of the valve covers is leaking a little oil and tries to pressure you into repairs asap by saying that your inspection sticker runs out soon and they would never pass you.

I did it yesterday... How much is the engine supposed to vibrate? I can see it's not completely motionless, but I wouldn't qualify it as a lot either (but I may not know any better). How else would the transmission mount problems show themselves?