2004 GTO aka Holden Monaro

I read the posts in here about how bad the new GTO is, because it doesn't have bonnet scoops, or sharks teeth, or whatever, and doesn't look aggressive like the old iron did, and I have to shake my head and wonder what some of you guys want in a car ?

The thing almost everybody has missed here, is that this car is a genuine road racing superstar. And, I mean REAL WORLD road racing !!

Not banked track stuff, REAL racing, that demands a car that can actually turn corners, climb mountains at grades of up to 1 in 6.13, and survive an extreme downhill straight.

Follow this link and take the Virtual Tour.

The track itself is 6.2 Km and is 874 metres above sea level.

This car is no overstuffed piece of iron, it is a finely balanced thoroughbred, and is the equal or better of any car in it's class.

But the Monaro (sorry, GTO) by GMH is not the only star car from Oz, Ford do a pretty good impersonation withthe reincarnation of the Falcon GT, but that's another story too.

Reply to
redbaron550

I think most people here in the USA were hoping for something that resembles the old GTO days. Or at least a new car design built from scratch instead of rebadging an Australian made GM car. I'm sure the Monaro is a swell car as other posters from Australia & New Zealand have boasted about the car's performance & handling abilities.

The initial reaction here is it looks to Gran Prix /Grand Amish.

Many americans were quite upset at what the 2000 Chevy Impala was when it debuted as a V6, FWD car. Its nothing at all like its former V8, RWD version. Its present format has been around 4 years now and its been accepted and has proven its worthiness. Sales are good. Taxi Cab Companies and Police departments are even using them now.

It may take a fewyears for the new GTO to catch on and I'm sure Pontiac will make some changes to its appearance in 2005 & 2006. There was even talk of building the car over here after 2005. But like the Impala the new GTO is nothing like its former self.

========= Harryface =========

1991 Pontiac Bonneville LE, 3800 V6 _~_~_~_~273,777 miles_~_~_ ~_~_
Reply to
Harry Face

I think what it comes down to is a simple difference of opinion.

The car companies define a car by certain market criteria first, they go for certain criteria first, then put something together that fits the criteria. For example, they say we want a race-proven performer, seats at least four people, has at least X amount of horsepower and torque....things like that...apperence is always a wildcard...but if a front drive 300hp car fits the criteria, then so be it. Cars like the impala were always family/people and cargo hauling ability first, and the new Impala fits that quite nicely.

Some people define a car by a bottom up definition, they put things like solid rear axle, engine size, rear drive then put a car around it. Who's right, only sales will tell......

Considering the new GTO, well, things like hood scoops were added for a performance reason, the new GTO already surpasses the old in the performance department, and would only hinder things like drag, so why add them...at least I can see that argument...

I wonder too, how many have actually seen an '04 GTO in person, the pictures don't really do it justice. I agree, in the pictures it looks very similiar to a GP or Grand-am, but in person, you will not make that mistake, it does stand out...I've seen several of them and every time I see one, I make no mistake about it being a GP or GA....

Anyhow, I'm not all that thrilled with it being Austrailian made, I like to support the locals, but I think it is a fine automobile worthy of the GTO nameplate....

Ken

Harry Face wrote:

Reply to
73blazer

Yes I agree it is a road racing super star...one ugly road racing super star.

Reply to
Duke Ellington Von Wellinton III

Reply to
Red Baron

If they sold it here as the Mondaro it would probably be a good seller.

========= Harryface =========

1991 Pontiac Bonneville LE 3800 V6 ( C ), Black/Slate Grey _~_~_~286,095 miles_~_~_

~_~_~_~_U.S.A._~_~_~_~_~_

~~~The Former Fleet ~~~

Harry Face

Beautiful?Ugly?Original...Plain?it's all subjective. What is not subjective is that the mere fact that there is all this discussion about the '04 GTO styling and looks, means that there is a sizeable contingent that is disappointed and dissatisfied with the car's look (and for some, it's origin). If your going to drop 30K on a Pontiac, it IS because you want a reborn muscle car legend, NOT because you like it better than the similarly priced euro sport sedan or coupe (unless your one of those "buy American, sell American types). So just by making the purchase, you are making a statement. Maybe it's sentimentality, but nonetheless?you DO want to bask in the reflected glory carried by the GTO nameplate. That said, it seems clear that the '04 GTO, for many (fans and detractors alike), does not VISUALLY present that GLORY to the casual observer. It is cloaked, if you will, within an understated, undistinguished, exterior. So what it really comes down to is how sensitive you, the buyer, is to the perceived blah-ness, even if you *personally* think it looks great. If it's important to you that the car turn heads, or at least raise an eyebrow, then no matter how well it performs, it's not going to satisfy your exhibitionist side while it's parked. But if that is not important to you, buy the car. In the end, the public will vote with it's dollars, and GM will respond one way or another.

As for my personal opinion, on it's own merit (w/o the GTO name), it is a handsome car. But other manufacturer's have shown that retro styling, to one degree or another, can be successful if done right?and most importantly, can be combined harmoniously with modern styling. I think GM took the easy way out. No one was forcing their hand to produce another GTO by some given date (AFAIK). Yet, for economic reasons (my opinion), they took a great car and put a GREATER name on, just to support a higher price tag. And as a result, "tarnished" the name in the eyes of many?not "trashed" the name?not "insulted" the memory?just a bit of "tarnish". Maybe with time, the tarnish will rub off, if folks warm up to the new style. But unfortunately, '04 is in the bag and the opportunity to revive a legend on it's 40th anniversary was squandered and lost forever?even if the '06 or '07 is restyled satisfactorily. Very sad. :-(

Reply to
Paul

Does anyone have any accurate knowledge of how well they are selling? Are there any indications of how GM presently feels about the luke warm response to the car? I'd like to know how committed they are to their "vision" for the reborn GTO. Will they continue to force the issue and NOT respond with retro cues just as a matter of principle, or let sales figures dictate the future direction? Who's the brains behind the new GTO anyway?

Reply to
Paul

Whether GM perseveres with the Monaro/GTO in the US market remains to be seen, but remember, this is a car for a niche market, there is no way GM will ever go the route of developing a new platform just for a GTO. The sales potential mass is just not there.

My guess is that if they are not happy with the Monaro as a base, but still want to have a GTO in the range, you will see a tarted up version of an existing GM sedan built down to a price.

In answer to your question about the "brains" behind the car, Bob Lutz is the driving force behind the re-badging and US marketing, but the origins of the current Monaro has several fathers.

It was, >Does anyone have any accurate knowledge of how well they are selling?

Reply to
Red Baron

I just bought one for my wife, now we have his and hers (mine is a 1970); both silver exterior with black interior.

The dealer is a relatively large one in this area and had 7 on the lot. I have GM family pricing so I dunno if the sticker price is still what people are paying.

Reply to
Matthew Sorg

They were having $2000 cash back and .9%-2.9% financing the last week of July if that tells you anything

Reply to
Curmudgeonx