How "Pontiac" is the 2004 GTO?

I just have a bit of a question about the Pontiac GTO. I'm not exactly sure how to word it though. I know the GTO is made by Holden in Australia, which is owned by GM. After having ridden quite a few Camaros/Firebirds, Grand Prix's, Impalas, IMO the inside isn't quite there after a year or two. I'm not saying its falling completely apart or blowing up, mind you. Would the fact that the GTO is a Holden design make any difference? I'm wondering how the car will hold up in the long term. I figure it will be fairly reliable, but the inside trip and everything else I'm not quite sure on. So what do some of you think? Does this question even make sense?

Reply to
Barry

Geoff Welsh

Same question as Geoff, just exactly what are you saying ?

On Fri, 16 Jul 2004 00:51:18 -0400, Barry exactly sure how to word it though. I know the GTO is made by Holden

Reply to
Rod Keys

The interior quality on Holdens is by far better than anything GM USA makes.

Reply to
Dennis Smith

BINGO! Thanks! Thats whgat I wanted to know. ;)

Reply to
Barry

"Barry" exactly sure how to word it though. I know the GTO is made by Holden

The 2004 GTO is a '93 (!!) Opel/Holden Vectra with different rims and grille and a Corvette engine. As you might know, Holden models and Opel models are exactly the same.

The Opel Omega Lotus (same model as the Cadillac Catera) was a similar project of Opel in the early 90s, this time with a Lotus engine. That car was fabulous, the reason they stopped production was that the car was so popular as get-away cars that insurance companies did not like it and no one really saw a need for a 175 mph family sedan.

I never liked Opel, everything was just a bit too cheap, but I haven't heard a lot of bad news about more recent models (1990+). I just think your buying a solid German engineered car, put together by Holden. So, besides the engine you can't really go wrong (besides the fact that the design is 11 years old + added cup holders). I don't know a lot about Corvette engines, (just that my tuned 4 banger can give them a hell of a time) but you don't seem to be to concerned about this.

Reply to
Simon

In article , Barry exactly sure how to word it though. I know the GTO is made by Holden

I'm an Aussie GTO lover (owned a 66 in the past), and love the Holden Monaro on which your new one's based.

Don't know how Pontiac the new GTO is, tho' like a lot of people, a GTO badge should be accompanied by hood scoops and a dash grab handle at least.....

Tho' I believe the Pontiac engineers did a lot of waveform work making the exhaust sound like the old days. Good call!

Reply to
David Turney

I don't see ant Catera going 175, I think they might be the same model, but obviously a different engine. The LS1 engine is fairly solid from what I understand. I do like bigger engines. I'll take a bigger engine over a turbo or supercharger though. Thanks!

Reply to
Barry

"Barry" model, but obviously a different engine.

Yeah, the Opel Omega (same, but older model than the Catera) with a Lotus engine.

That's what I used to say, but now I drive a turbo and it isn't too bad. The turbo lag is pretty much compensated by the fact that it takes less time for a smaller engine to rev up.

Reply to
Simon

Well from the view of owning An "04" Goat, your right, the exhaust DOES sound like the old days. Plus, the interior seems very well made. Heavy duty stiching through out all of the leather seams the steering wheel and shifter. The allum. drilled clutch, brake and accelerator pedels are very well made. They are just far enough away from eachother for fast clutch/accelerator foot work without the brake pedal being in the way.( at least with my 11-1/2" shoe size it is ). I bought an after market hood with the working twin hood scoops hooked up to a nine inch air box. In between the scoops is that classic Pontiac raised rounded "bulge" running down the hood to meet the Pontiac emblem in the center. Now it *REALLY* looks like a G T O !

I also had a "66" Pontiac, but mine was a Le-Mans. I loved that car, it was like the "step down" of the GTO. But, at 16 in 1971 that was about all I could afford.(it cost me $1100.00 and about 300 payments..lol..lol) It had a "souped" up 326 motor. My "gear head" bro-in-law put headers on it, then I put on duel Thrust mufflers. Remember tho's, they had the "Speeding Woodpecker"head on them and sounded like you almost had open headers? The car was Fire engine red w/black leather interior and bucket seats. Now, I know it was an automatic, but I can't remember if it was a 3 or four speed. That was a very long time ago. It got stolen that next summer at a local race car track. Grrrrrrrrrrr........

But that car was well made too. Since, I have had a "69" Le-Mans, "96" Firebird, "98" Grand Prix Coupe and the "04" GTO. (Quite a few other brands of autos were in the mix too). But all in all I keep coming back to Pontiac. I must be lucky tho, I never really had any major, major problems.

Fingers Crossed XX BK

Reply to
nO SpAm

Wanna have my Grand Am for a week?? Problems guaranteed!

Reply to
Simon