93 Grand Am engine computer

Do you have to reprogram a aftermarket computer for it to work in your car. I switched the prom from my old ecm to the new one. Is there anything else that needs to be done? I replaced my ecm in my 93 grand am and the car has been runing weird ever since. Sometimes the "service engine soon" light would come on and the speed odometer would quit working or the lights would dim. What did I do wrong?

Reply to
grandaman

No. Not on that year car. Exactly how was it running before replacing the ecu? The lights have nothing to do with the ecu.

Reply to
=?x-user-defined?Q?=AB?= Paul =?x-user-defined?Q?=BB?=

Before I replaced the ecu the engined idle was unstable. It was diagnosed by a technician that the computer had a glitch in it. I found out, however that my computer was fine so I put it back in and now it runs the way it always has. Don't ever buy remanufactured computers at Advanced Auto.

Reply to
grandaman

a technician that the computer had a glitch in it. I found out, however that my computer was fine so I put it back in and now it runs the way it always has. Don't ever buy remanufactured computers at Advanced Auto.

Yes, I learned years ago on that kind of stuff to buy only genuine A/C Delco from a dealer. What is the car doing wrong? Which engine & trans?