Grand Am body control module

My daughter's 2001 Grand Am has a "service vehicle soon" light lit on the dash. I took it to the dealer. They say that they believe that the body control module is bad. A new one will probably run in the neighborhood of $525 for the part alone. My question is, how important is this thing? She's been driving it with this light on for a couple of months with no apparrent problem. If it is really necessary to replace this thing, could a salvage yard replacement do the job and save me some money? I'd sure appreciate any input here. Thanks Much. Smurfsdad

Reply to
Smurfsdad

Afaik, there is no BCM on that vehicle. At least not until air bags came out in 93 or 94. If they mean ECU or ECM, then you can get a new or rebuilt for about $98 US - assuming your car really needs one - which is unlikely. A bad obdi ECU won't tell itself that it is bad. A SEL is usually the caused by some sensor somewhere (excluding quad relay). Too bad you don't know the codes that were set.

Reply to
« Paul »

ummmm 2001, is a while after 94. Maybe you were thinking of the post about finding the BCM?

Anyway, if they know it's bad, then try a junkyard one if you can get it cheap....if they are clueless, as one could infer, try another dealer. The SVS light usually means a headlight or DRL is out but you need a better scan tool than the Snap-On we have where I work to retrive BCM codes, so we have to send people to the dealer for that, if we can't find any lights out or malfunctioning sliding doors or whatever. GW GW

Reply to
Geoff Welsh

To orig poster - Geoff is correct. I think I may have translated 2001 into 1991. Did not catch it at all. Thanks Geoff.

Reply to
« Paul »

Reply to
GEORGE S JAYNES