94 sunbird gasket leaking

To report on the oil leak from the cam cover. I had torgued the cover down and the leak continued. A helpful soul on this site suggested I replace the gasket.

I did this and in the process found out why tightening didn't work.

This cover has metal inserts (spacers)that go in each of the bolt holes in the gasket. Once the gasket has compressed and set from heat any effort to compress furhter is useless. A new gasket is thicker than the inserts and will form a fresh (tight) seal when torqued down properly.

The old gasket looks good to the eye but it now is thinner than the spacers and would have kept leaking.

Thanks again for the excellent advise out there.

Reply to
rcgordo

And thanks for that info.

Reply to
=?x-user-defined?Q?=AB?= Paul =?x-user-defined?Q?=BB?=