Rubber Rocker cover gasket?

Anyone know where you can get a rubber rocker cover gasket from, Im getting p***** off with having to reseal mine.

Ben

Reply to
Ben & Claire

Lol! No such thing I'm afraid! Some rocker gaskets are thicker than others, I use unipart ones if I can find them locally. Other than that make sure all surfaces are dry. If I'm having probs with a particular gasket then I'll use hermetite blue 'instant gasket' to stick the rocker gasket to the rocker cover only, then fit it! Another common problem is people overtightening them - they can leak quite badly. Haynes lists the torque as about 3 or 4 ft/lbs I believe! Also replace the oil cap! This should have a breather in it, again unipart are best here as cheap pattern ones wouldn't close properly on my MPi.

chris

Reply to
Chris

Hi, For years I have been sticking the gasket to the cover using evostick, and NEVER had any leaks. The evostick cleans off easily when the time comes to replace the gasket, after a service or rocker adjustment.

Keith

Reply to
**

if your R/C/gasket constantly leaks, then there must be a problem somewhere,

1) Check that the rocker cover hasn't crushed down over the years, this enables the rocker retaining bolts to hit the bottom of the thread before tightening down on the gasket, 2) Back pressure in the engine, due to gummed up piston rings or blocked engine breather, etc, this causes undue pressure on cork gaskets and seals that are designed for oil splash only, These are a few areas I would look at if the gasket is constantly leaking, Fitzy
Reply to
Fitzy

I questioned my guru on the constant leaks and annual gasket replacements suffered by my Mpi and he tells me the standard rocker cover distorts very easily. Recommends a good quaity alloy replacement. Haven't got round to testing the theory yet.

Regards, David Betts snipped-for-privacy@minilist.org The Mini Gallery:

David Betts

That's exactly right David,, its what I meant when I said about the crushing effect over the years, I would totally agree that the alloy rocker cover is a better option, over tightening of the rocker cover nuts is the main cause of the problem though, Fitzy

Reply to
Fitzy

Sounds like the perfect excuse I need to change the rocker cover. I wanted one of the alloy ones but the financial controller said I didnt need it!

I guess she was wrong! (or at least misguided, when was the last time your financial controller was wrong guys?)

Where does the main crankcase breather come from? Is it still on the valve chest cover? Any ideas on increasing performace, Ive got a little Pipercross thingy on my X1/9 can you get a similer doofer for the mini?

Ben.

Reply to
Ben & Claire

As I've posed before, I use two cork gaskets; one stuck with rtv sealant to the head, and one similarly to the cover.

Reply to
Paul Prescott

I actually went the other way with my MG in that the alloy cover leaked so resorted back to the original one. I don't have problems with either original Mini's or MG tappet covers.

I usually stick the cork gasket to the tappet cover with a gasket cement.

Important - make sure that you get a fresh gasket that has not shrunk with age/storage.

Reply to
Rob

It's an Mpi, right? You can get a K and N replacement element for the standard filter box. Don't go for anything more extreme as the ecu can't cope. Replace the exhaust with a freeflow system from the cat back. Replace the manifold with an lcb-type, but don't forget to get one with the take-off for the lambda sensor.

These basic changes make a huge difference as the engine is strangled in standard spec. Don't be surprised if you get a bit of a flat spot at low revs with a low throttle opening, though. The ecu isn't very bright ;-)>.

If you want to go for more (ie full 90bhp Cooper S Works spec), you'll need a new head and rockers.