95 Trans Sport SE 3.8 Transmission slipping

Hi I have a Trans Sport SE 3.8 which is slipping in 3rd gear. I guess it's not rocket science that box either needs a rebuild or replacing. Only problem is I'm in the England and local garages have not seen a Trans Sport before so the chances of them fixing it are not good.

From what I have learnt it is a very complicated transmission to fix

So the main question is if I get a new transmission shipped over how easy would it be to set up after fitting it? any ideas.

Roger.

Reply to
ROGER ALLEN

Setup is a cinch. One of the main problems with that particular tranny is a bad valve bore - can't remember if it is throttle pressure valve or governor - but the case often needs to be resleaved during rebuild to prevent 3rd gear slippage. They are a royal pain in the p'Tuiti to change on that vehicle - I paid a tranny shop to do mine rather than go through it all the second time (first time was changing the engine - I bought it with overheated/blown engine)

Reply to
nospam.clare.nce

Hi Thanks for the info, I've located a reconditioned box in Omaha. The only problem is shipping it over to England as it weighs around 2 Cwt it could prove to be to costly. thanks again for the advice Regards Roger

Reply to
ROGER ALLEN

Go to auto parts store and try the stuff from Lucas for transmation. It will work!

Reply to
tj

It will work IF it is a hardened seal. If the clutch linings are gone, it won't. If a valve is scored or worn, it won't. If a valve is sticky, it might.

For sticky valves, ford C8AZ-19B546A friction modifier also often works. Helps kill both chatter and slip as well. I've had it make so much difference you'd swear the tranny had been rebuilt or replaced. Stinks something awfull though!!!.

Reply to
nospam.clare.nce