97 sunfire engine light.,.,.

I have a 97 sunfire with a 4 cyl. auto and air. The check engine light and ETS light come on at the same time. Some times they stay on for a few days and then go off for few then on again. The ETS switch works when the lights are off, and the car still drives and runs good. So the dealer wants about $80 to scan the codes, and i'm hoping that it is a common problem that is easy to fix without the scan. Any help will be appreciated.

Reply to
cindy

Where do you live? Here in Canada, Napa stores will usually do a free scan to see what the codes are, and I have heard that in the USA AutoZone stores will do the same. You can even ask you friends if they have a scan tool. They are not as uncommon now as they used to be. I picked a cheap one up at Wal-Mart a while ago for under $200.

Reply to
80 Knight

Cindy,

Knight is giving you good advice. Having the PCM codes scanned will save a whole lot of wasted effort and costs.

All I wish to add is ignore the ETS light for now - on those cars, when the PCM lights the Check Engine light the ETS is automatically disabled (hence the ETS light coming on). Solve the basic problem that is causing the Check Engine light to come on and the ETS issue will most likely resolve itself without further work.

Regards, Bill Bowen Sacramento, CA

Reply to
William H. Bowen

Reply to