auto transmission problem engine stalls between 2-3 gears

hi, i have 89 firebird and it has 155,000 miles on it. it is 305 5.0 L V8 with automatic transmission(everything is stock). lately i am having this problem. this started when i went up a ramp at an airport terminal

(it was pretty steep) as soon as i came to a stop the engine started to

stall and then stopped. but it did come back on when i turned the ignition, the problem continues when i come to a halt at a light or start from a light, it begins to feel llike it is about to stall when moving between the 2nd and the 3rd gear both when coming to a stop or while accelerating from standstill. i have no problems once it comes on 4 th

gear. it goes 2000 rpm at 75-80mph

when i put it in park it would rev pretty high around 1700 rpm where as my engine used to idle between 1000 and 500 before this..

this problem persisted for 2 days then again it went back to normal (smooth shift like u would not even feel the shift ). then again after a few week i again went to the same terminal to pick my friend up as i soon as i went up the ramp to the top, it started to stall again while i came to a stop. it continued to do the same for 2 days and agian back to normal .

what could be the problem is my transmission going dead.? also what it would cost to change to manual transemission.?

Reply to
surajchem

That is a fuel injected model correct? It sure sounds like a carburetor float problem. It definitely is not a transmission problem.

Reply to
TM

Reply to
surajchem

Ok, first thing I would do is check the pressure on the fuel system the fuel pump could be failing. If this is the throttle body injection where the gasoline is shot in where the carburetor would be, then that is what I would suspect. Before you do that, when is the last time you changed the fuel filter?

TM

Reply to
TM

Reply to
surajchem

Do you have a full tank when you go up that ramp at the airport or is it less than 1/2 full? I would keep on driving it as is, until the problem evolves a bit to where it can be easily diagnosed.

TM

Reply to
TM

Reply to