Broken Tilt Steering

Hi everyone,

I have a 2002 Grand Prix GT. The other day the tilt steering stopped functioning in the full up position. It feels like there is nothing attached to the lever that actuates the tilt, and it seems to be sprung all the way forward (towards the driver). I can move it back and fourth freely but it just acts is if there is nothing is connected to it.

The bottom plastic cover on the steering column is held in place with two torx screws. I can take these out to loosen the cover but I cannot figure out how to get the tilt-lever off to completely remove the cover. Does the plastic end on the lever detach?

Has anyone ever experienced this problem before? How can I go about fixing this?

Any help is much appreciated! Thanks!

Reply to
Snowbelt

On my '93 the tilt lever is loctited in place. The only way to get off is to use a pair of vice grips that damage the finish. On mine it was a broken casting that I was able to source at a wrecking yard. It involves removing the steering wheel several bolts and nuts and a hard to remove snap ring.

Reply to
Scott Buchanan