Building the Chevy Camaro has been Axed!

Future: '08 Pontiac GTO Spared, But That's All What the GM Future looks like

By Todd Lassa Photography by the Manufacturer General Motors's plans for a rear-drive Buick Velite sedan, convertible, or anything else are officially dead. The murder also affects any rear-drive Chevy coupe, Camaro, Chevelle, or otherwise. While development of a new Zeta platform was scaled back months ago, the decision to pull the plug on these new cars is much more recent. The only sub-Cadillac/ Corvette rear-drive program going forth (beside Pontiac Solstice and Saturn Sky) is the next-gen GTO, expected for the 2008 model year.

GM sources say the Holden's Zeta rear-drive platforms aren't considered refined enough for rear-drive Buicks and Chevys to compete with the Mercedes-based Chrysler and Dodge LX models or any other modern competitor. Cadillac's Sigma platform, meanwhile, is too expensive for GM's mainstream brands.

Meanwhile, GM is yet again reorganizing its divisions. Cadillac, Hummer, and Saab continue as the company's premium troika (it considers Saab near-luxury). Even though Hummer H2 sales plunged after its first year, with the new H3 and more product on the way, the division is designed to thrive with relatively low volume. Saturn continues as a warm-and-fuzzy Toyota, Honda/Acura competitor as it moves upmarket.

GM plans to morph as many as possible of its individual Pontiac, Buick, and GMC dealers into three-brand combos. A Pontiac-Buick-GMC dealer doesn't have to be full-line, like Chevrolet, says marketing chief Mark LaNeve. The plan is to shape GM into eight "tightly focused" brands. "If those brands aren't focused, you don't need them," LaNeve adds.

But the reality looks set to fall short of the rhetoric. GMC, for example, is relying on its expanding Denali line, which is really just a trim level, to distinguish itself from Chevy trucks. And while Pontiac builds a largely front-drive performance lineup and Buick builds a front-drive (except for the Rainier) "quiet luxury" lineup, there's still loads of overlap. Yes, a

3.5-liter high-feature Buick LaCrosse is much different from a small-block V-8 Pontiac Grand Prix GXP. But the high-volume sub-$25,000 LaCrosses and Grand Prixs are distinguished by little more than sheetmetal and interior design.

All of which leads to the question: If Chrysler Group can manage to build affordable, gotta-have rear-drive Chrysler 300s, Dodge Magnums, and Chargers with optional V-8s, why can't the world's largest automaker compete?

Reply to
Smartie Panse

I think I have purchased my first and last GM car. I like my Pontiac, looks nice, dependable, but its now 10 years old and GM no longer builds anything I want. Why should I pay for 4 doors when I only want 2?

Reply to
Smartie Panse

GM likes 4 door vehicles and chrome exhaust tips. There are already plans for a 4dr GTO. I expect a 4 dr Vette someday. But they will all have chrome exhaust tips.

Reply to
From: "« Paul »"

We are supposed to be building the Camaro here in Oshawa, Canada, and I haven't heard anything that says otherwise.

Reply to
80 Knight

MotorTrends article says otherwise....I personally don't know except from what I read.

Reply to
Smartie Panse

When I hear it myself, then I will believe it. As far as I know, the Camaro has been 100% approved for Oshawa. It also seems odd that GM would decide not to build so many vehicles. Very odd.

Reply to
80 Knight

WHAT THE HELL????? The Zeta platform "isn't refined enough" so what do they have up their sleeve?

I sincerely hope that this does not mean that the Impala is not going to go RWD; I was actually looking forward to my next company car for once.

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel

What the hell does anybody need a V8 for, heck GM makes some of the best V6's around, just get a superchared V6 and start saving gas!!!!! This is why Gas is going up ever day for Everybody wants a V8 and there is no need for one!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Reply to
Alex

Who said anything about a V8, I just want an inexpensive, RWD basic car. Is that too much to ask? I'd be perfectly happy with a *STRAIGHT* six, which I know GM can make (Trailblazer) as opposed to the POS 3.4 that is in my Impala. Give me a smooth shifting 5-speed and I'll be happy as a pig in excrement. But if you want that combo these days, looks like you have to go with BMW...

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel

Whoever posted this was just pulling your leg. It's not a real article.

Reply to
Joe

I certainly hope so, otherwise it would be a major misstep by GM after the raves they got about the Camaro at the auto shows.

-GV

Reply to
GlassVial

Then how about the Monte Carlo. It's available ONLY as a 2-door.

Willy

Reply to
Willy

Reply to
Les Benn

Alex wrote: Why the hell does anyone need a V8 for?

So we can out accelerate the V6 Maxima & Altima which are passing us ( with a mere 200 hp 3800's ) by.

Besides, I think GM discontinued the supercharged 3800 after 2005 models ended production.

harryface

Reply to
Harry Face

Where's the Bonny mileage Harry?

Reply to
Lee C. Carpenter

Give it a couple of years. Assuming it will still be around.

Reply to
Anonymous

I assure sir..Smartie Panse is no liar. Though Motor Trend might be. The article came from M/Ts website yesterday. Here is the link below

Smartie Panse

2007 is the last year for the Monte Carlo.
Reply to
Smartie Panse

That's interesting. I guess the boys at NASCAR will be racing in an Impala next year.

Willy

Reply to
Willy

There was an article in Popular Mechanics (I think) that said that all NACARs will be the same except for the engines.

Reply to
Anonymous