Check Engine Light - 95 Grand Am

This is really starting to bug me. I've got a 1995 Grand Am with the

3.1 V6, and the Check Engine light is on about 50% of the time. I've had a mechanic read me the codes, but there were too many to isolate the trouble. I've changed the Plugs and wires, the EGR valve, the O2 sensor the temperature sensor, the MAF sensor, replaced the radiator, water pump and thermostat. Still comes on.. I wouldn't worry alot except when the light's ON, the car will overheat... Only while the lights on... I've checked the Electric fans, they come on at the right temp, I'm at a loss... It performs perfectly, never a sign of troubles. I'm sure it's temperature related, as it seldom does it in the AM, while the outside temp is cooler. And the overheating, is while sitting still, it won't overheat at hiway speeds, only sitting in traffic WITH the light on... Any Ideas ? This has cost a small fortune already, and the "Brain" is still a dealer item, so I'm real reluctant to swap that out at this point. The car only has 94,000 miles, and compression is perfect. Fuel Economy is still really good as well...

Rich...

Reply to
Guess

How do you know its overheating? Did you put an IR gun on it? Without the codes we really can't say much.

Reply to
=?x-user-defined?Q?=AB?= Paul

I own a 1995 3.1 v6 pontiac grand am also and i swear to god my car has the exact some problem your car does. my car over heats in traffic and my check engine light always comes one for no dam reason. when i finnaly get home from work and turn my car off, i can restart it and the light will be out. my car does not get hot at night. my car has 92,000 mi and ive allready replaced fuel injectors, my windows have come off track, my heater core recently exploded on me and only my high beams work because something is wrong in the steering wheel. Now let me tell you i take verry good care of my car but if you really want to know what i think. I think its about time we get new cars.

Reply to
keepitloe