DIESEL FUEL FOR INJECTOR CLEANER?

Hi. I was just thinking about using say a pint to maybe a quart of diesel fuel per tank of gas to clean my injectors in both my 96 bonny, and 89 chevy pu. What's the thinking on this? Good idea, or bad idea? Thanks. to all who reply. Doboy26.

Reply to
doboy

Shep

Reply to
Bart Simpson

Hi Bart. Thanks for the reply. If he used several gal. of diesel fuel in a car that used gas, I'm surprised it even ran.:) Doyle.

Reply to
doboy

That would make them dirtier not cleaner. You ever seen and smelled bad gas? Gas that's over a year old looks and smells like diesel. The only good way to clean injectors is with the machine I use at work, but secondary to that you can buy injector cleaner kits that hook up to the fuel rail, if the rail has a test port. Some 3800 engines have the port, most GM engines don't. Also of note, it's been my experience that Ford injectors get very dirty and the engine runs like new with an injector cleaning at 40,000 miles, but GM engines don't seem to really care. GM injectors will, however, suddenly fail one day. When that happens get rebuilt ones from the guy in Ohio. (I can never remember the name.) A set of six costs almost the same as one new GM injector. GW

Reply to
Geoff Welsh

...... GM injectors will, however,

I remembered, it's Bill,

GW

Geoff Welsh

Thanks Geoff. Guess I'll be cleaning my injectors the proper way. Doyle.

Reply to
doboy

From what I remember from years ago, mixing gas and diesel changes the flash point lower so that you could potentially catch fire if you have any sort of fume leak even without a source of flame. Just touching a hot motor or exhaust will set it off.

The commecial cleaners use kerosene and that is limited to about a pint per tank.

Reply to
john graesser

Thanks John. Diesel fuel is out...I'll stay with the commericial stuff. Thanks to all who replied. Doyle. (doboy)

Reply to
doboy