Fuel injector cleaner for a diesel

Is it a good idea to use a fuel injector cleaner on a 92 Jetta diesel? The cleaner I have does not say anything about a diesel engine, so I am assuming it is ok to use but does anyone have any input? Does anyone know of anything to use to clean the injectors, or to clean the engine on the inside that ir??

Reply to
AlanH70

It has to be for diesels only. You can find 2 different types(at least) at and Wal-Mart or parts store. The 2 common ones I see are made by Powerservice(white bottle) or by STP in a ugly blue bottle.

Reply to
Simplstupd

I bought some cleaner, in a four pack from my local Costco for 7.99 It does not say anything about diesels but I did call the 800 number and asked and the rep said it was safe. What if any problem could occur if I use this stuff??

Reply to
AlanH70

There are at least two made specifically for diesels.

One is Diesel Purge by LLbro Moly. It's about $15 - $20 a can.

It is not a pour in the tank type product.

You have to buy or make up a hose kit and it in effect replaces your fuel tank for the 15 minutes it takes to run it through the system. You can buy the hose kit for like $10.

The other one is Stanadyne diesel fuel conditioner, this pours right in the tank.

The former is the best.

Reply to
Dave

When your diesel dies,call them back! Your messing with precision stuff on diesels so get something specifically for diesels!

Jo Bo

99.5 jetta tdi
Reply to
Jo Bo