Fan not working

I am pretty sure that my rad fan is no longer working. I have a 94 Grand AM

3.1 v6.

I was told that I can check to see if the fan is working by turning on the AC or Defog while the car is running and the fan should start. When I do this nothing happens. The car is not in jeopardy of overheating, in fact it never goes above half way on the temp guage, and usually stays at the 1/4 mark while driving.

Is there anything I can do to check this myself, or possibly fix this myself. I would like to get it fixed since the warmer weather is quickly approaching. Any suggestions welcome.

Not sure if it is related or not but my AC for some reason does not work either.

Regards,

Steve K

Reply to
Steve K

The cooling fan in my 92 GA 3.3 failed a couple of years ago. During warm weather, the temp would climb very high while idling, then fall while driving at highway speeds. My problem was the fan motor. A replacement from an auto parts store cost about $25.

To test the fan motor, pull the fan assembly out and connect the motor directly to the battery with some jumper leads. The fan should spin. Radio Shack sells jumper leads with small alligator clips that work good for this test.

If the fan motor is good, the problem may be the relay that controls power to the fan. In my car it's under the hood, on the firewall, in a plastic box, near the blower assembly and ABS module (along with several other relays.

I think a defective cooling fan would cause the AC to work poorly, I'm not sure if it would cause it stop working completely.

Dave

Reply to
Dave

Reply to