Faulty Ambient Sensor

Someone please help; I have a 2001 Pontiac Grand Am. Just recently I noticed that my DLR depending on the time of day will not work. It seems that whenever it's night out the lights works, but as soon as day light hits, the DLR;s shut off and a light on my dash (service vehicle soon) not to be confused with SES light. All other headlamps, tail lights, etc have been checked and appear to be opperative. I've had the car in the shop and the scan reveals a P1189 (engine oil pressure switch circuit), so my mechanic is hesistant toward replacing the oil pressure switch. He has tried clearing the code and yet it remains. What could be wrong with my car, this light on the dash board is driving me insane, and I'm becoming more and more fearful of driving my car.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you all in advance.

Reply to
teddy38

I don't think you should be fearful of driving your car. You might simply have a faulty DRL relay. That would be my first pick of things to check. Other lesser candidates include the Body Control Module, the automatic headlamp control relay, and the Turn Signal/Multi-function Switch. And there is always the possibility of a loose connector somewhere.

The DRL relay is in the underhood fuse block. Try switching it with another one just like it.

See the description of the SVS light below:

****************************************************************************** Electrical System Indicator SERVICE VEHICLE SOON

The IPC illuminates the SERVICE VEHICLE SOON indicator when the following occurs:

The body control module (BCM) detects certain malfunctions in the lighting system. The IPC receives a class 2 message from the BCM requesting illumination. The IPC sends a class 2 message to the BCM indicating that the service vehicle soon indicator is illuminated. The BCM sends a class 2 message to the radio in order to activate an audible warning.

The electronic brake control module (EBCM) detects a malfunction in the traction control system. The IPC receives class 2 messages from the EBCM requesting illumination of both the service vehicle soon and traction off indicators.

The IPC performs the displays test at the start of each ignition cycle. The indicator illuminates for approximately 3 seconds.

The IPC detects a loss of class 2 communications with the BCM.

Reply to
Silver Surfer

Thank you for the reply;

I believe I accidently discoverd the problem. I orig>I don't think you should be fearful of driving your car. You might simply

Reply to
teddy38 via CarKB.com