Fuel Pump Replacement ...

Hey guys, I was told that on my 90 olds (I know .. I know .. It's still a GM product) the best way to replace the fuel pump, was to remove the back seat, and I would find a place to unbolt and get access to the fuel tank ... Anyone know if this is true?

Reply to
clevere

Cleever,

YES, remove the back seat, remove the 4 access bolts holding in theround removable panel. Once the panel is removed you can proceed into the Magical Land of OZ. !

hahahahhaha

Sorry, but the the tank has to be dropped. At least on Bonnevilles it does, and probably others models as well.

When my FP was replaced in April 2003, I also had two lines replaced as they were heavilly rusted. The high pressure line and the return line . The fitting that screws into the back of the fuel filter was rusted to the gasline.......a pain when it came time to change the filter every year. Had to hold the line from twisting in half then uncsrew the filter off the fitting.......I know Dennis Smith and GW are laughing their ass off at this.

My usual mechanic didn't want to do the job on his garage floor , so ........

The dealer I get my part from where my buddy works at had a mechanic there do the job after they close at noon on Saturdays. He did the job for $55 The mechanic there did a FP replacement on my buddy's 89 SSE last summer .

It was about 90 minutes work and the parts ( OEM ) were $501 and that's with my discount. Normally the parts to someone off the street would of been $650

Here is what was replaced

Fuel pump Internal Sock Return Line High Press Line Gas Filter Sending unit

The sending unit was working okay but the steellines on top were also heavilly rusted and couldn't be unscrewed. I tried to unscrew them and the lines broke in half. The Sending untis for Tahoes are plastic.

The fuel line going to the engine is still in decent shape.

My dealer also keeps in stock the tank straps, J nuts and bolts that hold the tank. They usually break when removed. Mine didn't and they were re - used at reassembly.

It is recommeded you spray oil over all the line connections and bolts a few days prior to removal.

GOOD LUCK

1991 Pontiac Bonneville LE ~_~_~258,600 miles_~_~~_
Reply to
Harry Face

Thanks Harry .. It's not something I look forward to doing, since the damn dealer replaced the pump under 2 years ago .. but of course it is not under warranty anymore. You would think, they can make a car to last 10 years, they could make a pump to last longer...

250k miles on my Olds Cutlass Supreme...
Reply to
clevere

Reply to
clevere