2000 Ford Taurus in tank fuel pump, make access hole in floor?

I have a 2000 Ford Taurus, the in tank fuel pump needs to be replaced.

Instead of dropping the tank, I am considering cutting an access hole in the floor as is commonly provided on many cars.

Questions..

Anybody try this on this car?

Can anyone provide information about the correct location to make the access hole?

Will I be able to reach the electrical connectors from above or will I have to go under the car to reach those?

thanks Mark

Reply to
Mark

Mark, I did this on my daughter's '99 Taurus about a year ago. There are several places on the Web that show pictures on where to cut. BUT, after all was said and done, I think its harder than just dropping the tank and doing it the right way.There's almost no clearance between the floor and the tank and hoses, so you have to be extremely careful when cutting the floor. And it's harder to get the pump out because you can't reach and remove the wires and hoses from the top of the tank. When covering the hole back up,you have to make sure that the patch is flame-resistant, and getting the sheet metal patch to fit the contours of the floor isn't easy. I ended up using fire-proofing caulk to seal up the gaps.

Which ever method you decide on, here are some helpful links. I also have lots of pics I took when I did it if you want them.

Steve Newman

Steve,

thanks for the great info... I'm going to give it more thought, I don't think I have the stones to cut above the fuel lines with a Dremel tool, but I would consider using tin snips... And I didn't realize that the access hole would be so large, I thought it was going to be just the same size as the hole in the tank.. with it so large, the exact location is not that critical.

thanks for the info

Mark

Reply to
Mark

I would drop the tank.The bottom of the tank might be rusted between the straps, especially if you live where they put salt on the roads in the winter time? cuhulin

Reply to
cuhulin

Mark wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@p26g2000yqb.googlegroups.com:

Um, dremel tools make sparks. Are you *sure* that's a good idea?

Just drill a hole and then cut with snips or a hacksaw

Reply to
chuckcar

Here are some of the pics I took when I did it. You'll see how easy it would be to cut in the wrong place and hit a hose or wire, and how little clearance there is between the floor and the tank in at least one place (at the rear of the hole).

Steve Newman
.

You have to use an air cutter.

Reply to