Gauges in '92?

In the middle of exploratory surgery on my '92 Grand Am's Quad Four. Oil pump and intake screen look near perfect. No evidence of sludge. Might change out the relief valve just for the heck of it. On to the bearings next.

Down the road after the problem is found and fixed I want an oil gauge to keep track of things. My shop manual indicates that at least some '92's had a full set of gauges, and the wiring connector for both clusters appears to be nearly identical. Have not had any luck finding an instrument cluster with gauges at the salvage yards yet. Does anyone know if these machines did actually come with gauges?

Reply to
Silver Surfer

This information is from the 1991 Pontiac Sales catalogue that came from the dealer. I don't see why a 92 would be any different.

Standard Cluster includes : Systems monitor, odometer , speedometer, fuel and temp gauges.

Rally Cluster includes: Tachometer, trip odometer, voltmeter, oil pressure and temperature gauges. Standard on the SE, Available on the LE with 2.3L engine.

As one poster always posts these gauges are just indicators and don't accurately reflect the true temps & pressures like a mechanical gauge can.

Good Luck.

========= Harryface =========

1991 Pontiac Bonneville LE 3800 V6 ( C ), Black/Slate Grey _~_~_~295,726 miles_~_~_

~~~The Former Fleet ~~~

Harry Face

OK. It's the rally cluster that I need then. Even if these gauges are not traceable to the National Bureau of Standards they should at least allow me to detect a long term trend. Thanks for the info.

Reply to
Silver Surfer

I don't know if there are gauges, but if there are any they will be in the GT version. You will have to change sending units. A potential problem is that the GT is a 6 cyl and the 4 cyl ecu will not work with the new sending units.

Reply to
« Paul »