GM Intake gaskets...how long has GM been making engines?

I cant figure out for the life of me why GM cant get it right with those damn Intake gasket problems. I had mine replaced at about 90k miles on my

  1. Now I am finding out that the newer cars have the same damn problem! I know someone with a 94 corsica that had the same problem in there 3.1. Now I am finding the issue has crossed over into the new 3.4 v6 engines. When in the hell are they going to fix this damn problem! Its criminal to allow this problem to continue for so long and charge customers 0-00 a pop for the repair! My next car my be a Ford Mustang Mach 1, and if they cant get it right I give up! I will be forced to get damn Civic!
Reply to
Gabbo!

"Gabbo!" wrote

The problem has been around to one degree or another since the General started making the first 2.8 60 degree engines. Why do you think I'm always busy at work? I'll have to ask the parts guys how many intake gasket sets a week we move in the shop.

Ian

Reply to
shiden_Kai

I could perhaps makeup a standard complaint letter to be sent to GM. But it would have to copied and printed and mailed to GM by the thousands on a given day to be effective and to possibly get media attention. But I dont think the people here on this group are discipined enough to follow thru to make it efective.

Reply to
Popeye Sailor..US Navy

What is the problem that you speak of?

Reply to
Scott Buchanan

Intake Gaskets go out causing coolant leaks prematurely.

Reply to
Popeye Sailor..US Navy

I have a 1995 Pontiac GP with a 3.1L engine and I have replaced the intake manifolds twice within 3 years of each other. Since the car is out of warranty, the dealerships won't touch it under warranty. I know that this is very common with the 2.8L, 3.1 and the 3.4L engines. The issue is the plastic gaskets they use cannot handle the heat and warp after awhile. I have proof (two times).

Reply to
kerelir

I don't think the 2.8 had the problem. It used fiber gaskets.

manifolds twice within 3 years of each other. Since the car is out of warranty, the dealerships won't touch it under warranty. I know that this is very common with the 2.8L, 3.1 and the 3.4L engines. The issue is the plastic gaskets they use cannot handle the heat and warp after awhile. I have proof (two times).

Reply to
clevere

My wife's '95 GA has been leaking for a year. Very small amount so she's trying to make it last until June when she trades it in.

What's the cost to have one replaced?

manifolds twice within 3 years of each other. Since the car is out of warranty, the dealerships won't touch it under warranty. I know that this is very common with the 2.8L, 3.1 and the 3.4L engines. The issue is the plastic gaskets they use cannot handle the heat and warp after awhile. I have proof (two times).

Reply to
Lee C. Carpenter

Ouch. In our case, our now down the road 95 GP had the mystery coolant leak which we couldn't find via pressure testing. Not a massive leak, but about a half gallon per month. My mech buddy suspected the intake manifold gaskets as he knew of the troubles with those, but we never got to where it went south on us.

We had it for 155,000 miles and the new owner hasn't yet had any major probs (knock wood)

Wir welle bleiwe wat mir sin (Letzebuergesch)

Reply to
munir

Depends on where you have it done. I've heard the average cost for a dealer to do it is around $5-600. Precision Tune quoted me $450. My dad happens to live out in the boonies, and I used his mechanic....swapped out the gaskets and spark plugs for $325.

Reply to
Trey Waters

always use PERMA-TORGE BLUE brand intake manifold gasgets, with two cans KW block seal. get on the phone and ask for them, they cost more.

Reply to
GREASY DICK