Grand Am Suspension (or, is it all in my head?)

I have a 2002 Pontiac Grand AM SE, 4-door, 2.2L engine. 29,100 on the clock.

Lately, I'd say within the past month and a half or so, I've been experiencing what I *think* is a diminished ride and handling quality since about 28,000 miles. This car used to handle corners wonderfully, had a rock-steady ride and was a joy to drive.

Recently though, I've been noticing more and more that the car isn't so steady anymore. If I have just one other person riding along, it bottoms out with a thud on dips and bumps a lot more easily and in places where it hadn't ever bottomed out before, and seems on the whole a bit "bouncier." It's nothing like the old jalopies I see gliding along the freeway with their rear tires bouncing along a smooth road like a basketball, but it's still a bit annoying. Even driving by myself, turns are also hell now, as it feels like the car tips over to the side way more than before. And while the car clearly drives straight on a newly paved road and alignment seems perfectly fine, I still find I have to be a lot more attentive to the steering wheel when I'm driving, as every tiny little bump, crack or seam in the road seems more likely to the push the front end in a slightly different direction than straight. This requires me to correct the steering more than I remember having to before.

The skinny of it is, my Grand Am used to handle like a Grand Am. Now it handles like a huge 1970's area land yacht (you know how to drive those things: locate a visible landmark about two miles away in the direction you want to go, aim the car at it and pray?). Still road-worthy I suppose, but definitely not as fun to drive.

I was guessing it might be the struts. So, I call up the service shop where I got all my warranty work done (not much so far, just wind noise and a faulty O2 sensor, both fixed on short order and with no hassle), ready to price out getting the struts replaced. They were surprised: "New struts, so soon? Hmm, it's still under warranty, bring it on in and we'll have a look at it. Could be weak springs."

So I bring it in. Tech test drives it and finds absolutely nothing wrong with the way the car handles. After going back and forth with them and even stressing that I'm *willing to pay* to have them diagnose the problem, and not have the problem fixed under the precious warranty, they still insist the car is perfectly fine, as is, and that there's nothing to fix.

So I take my keys and leave in a huff. Along the drive home, the car is still as bouncy and annoying as when I brought it in, so clearly the problem hasn't just fixed itself.

Of course, I'm looking to have it checked elsewhere, but before I do, anyone know what this could be? Could it be struts, springs, both, or something else I haven't even thought of?

Is this something to be expected as the car ages and I should just live with it? Or, could it just be all in my head and I'm being a nutcase?

This is the first car I've ever bought new, all my previous cars were old heaps: learned to drive in a '74 Chevy Suburban with a 454 Engine (boy was that fun), then I had a '86 Buick Park Avenue, and an '88 Dodge Raider before finally deciding it was time to buy new. So, falling-apartness and having the local tow company on the cell phone speed-dial was something I was used to and coped with regularly until

2002 when I bought the Pontiac.

Not having driven a brand-spanking new car out of the lot before, I'm not used to driving cars as they go from new to heapdom, so I'm not sure if this should be expected so soon.

Any help? Thanks!

Reply to
SP

try another dealer.........it doesn't even have to be a Pontiac dealer. explain the situation calmly and see what happens. be nice, service writers and service managers like nice people. my 98 T/A handles as well as it did the day I drove it out of the showroom 78,000 miles ago

Reply to
DA .

Check your tire pressures. Maybe even pump them up a little.

Reply to
hyundaitech

Forgot to say, that was the first thing I tried. Tires were at the recommended 30PSI. Even a little bit of overinflation didn't cure the problem.

Reply to
Isaiah Beard

Take a new GA for a test drive. That should tell if it's your car or your perception. If it's the car, find another dealer, struts should last longer than that. Are you sure it's not a broken sway bar link (front or rear)??

Regards, Al.

Reply to
Al Haunts

Thanks for the suggestions. It's going to another mechanic this weekend. I'm also going on a trip very soon and have rented a Grand AM, so I'll be able to compare.

Reply to
Isaiah Beard

Take a tire pressure tester with. I always have the same problems with my new cars. It feels they wear out within 5k miles. I can still drive a mile without my hands on the steering wheel and still wonder if my alignment is ok because it doesn't handle like new. I just blame it on my head but that's why I love to drive an old beater. Who cares if they bounce a bit too much, that just means you're still going. Just have an eye on it, have it checked but don't let it ruin or dictate your life because it's probably mainly inside your head combined with normal wear and tear.

Reply to
Simon