Grand Prix GTP ABS question

I have a 1991 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP that is in exceptional condition, except that I have a flashing anti-lock light on the instrument panel. I took it to the dealer and they told me it had three trouble codes:

  1. ABS accumulator leaks down and ABS pump runs every time the brake pedal is applied.
  2. Right rear wheel speed sensor failure.
  3. Brake switch failure.

I have been a technician for many years and know that three problems don't typically appear all at once, so this is most likely a single point failure. I was told by the dealer that a new accumulator would be $500, a new wheel speed sensor would be $125 and a new brake switch would be $125, all installed.

This car has the 3.4L engine, has 119,500 miles on it, and it has been a very difficult car to work on, with very little room in the engine compartment. What I would like to know is this: How difficult would it be to replace the ABS accumulator on this car myself? I can get the part for wholesale, so it may be worth my time if it is not too difficult.

Thanks, Dave Hetteen

P.S. I once had the master cylinder replaced on this car, which I believe includes the ABS pump. I was lucky I had an extended warranty since the part was $2,093 and they got 5.5 hours labor to change it for a total of almost $2,750! That was when the car only had 60,000 miles on it.

Reply to
Dave Hetteen

of the time there is no problem it is just a program glitch if the abs portion of brakes isn't working they revert to standard brakes don;t worry you'll stop. They are very expensive to repair and may be cost prohibitive on an older car.

Jim.J

Reply to
Jim.J

I had a similar error set. The sensors on the wheels needed cleaning after parking on freshly sealed blacktop on the sunny , 95 degree day.

Reply to
98 Camaro

Thanks for the tip. I'll try cleaning mine. Dave H.

Reply to
Dave Hetteen

Thanks. I guess I should have mentioned that the ABS works; I found that out recently during a panic stop on the freeway in the rain here in Seattle. I really just want the "anti-lock" light to go out since I am now trying to sell the car. I also don't wish to disconnect it since this could be a potential safety issue and I don't want anything to do with that. Dave H.

Reply to
Dave Hetteen

"Dave Hetteen" wrote

Common problem with these older systems. You should have no problems replacing the acumulator yourself if you are a tech. As you probably know, you need to pump the pedal with ignition off on these cars to relieve accumulator pressure. Don't go unscrewing that accumulator until you have done this. Other then that, it's just a real bitch to get access of the accumulator. I've done a few of these, but it was years ago.

This should have nothing to do with the accumulator problem. Check the wiring to right rear sensor...I believe you can buy the harness from the body to the sensor. I've had a number of them go belly up.

I'm not sure if it applies to this vehicle....but check to make sure that your high mount brake light bulbs are working. I know that sounds strange, but on some of these vehicles, the high mount brake light bulbs being burnt out would cause an ABS code, and I think it would show up as brake switch failure.

That's the problem with this system. The ABS system can only be replaced (master and pump) other then the accumulator. Cars this old just aren't worth putting $3000 dollars into them.

Ian

Reply to
shiden_Kai

"Jim.J" wrote

On this system, this is not the case (if the abs portion of brakes aren't working they revert to standard brakes). These vehicles have a highly integrated ABS master cylinder, and boost pump. The pump provides power assist, and when you have accumulator problems, you can lose your assist.

Ian

Reply to
shiden_Kai

Ian wrote ; Cars this old just aren't worth putting $3000 into them.

cough, cough, cough, cough !!!!

: - )

1991 Pontiac Bonneville LE, 3800 V6 _~_~_~_~276,100 miles_~_~_ ~_~_
Reply to
Harry Face

Good point. It actually does require quite a bit of brake pedal pressure (for a car with power 4-wheel disc brakes) to stop this car. Dave

Reply to
Dave Hetteen