Just Test Drove a G6 GTP Coupe!

Here is my ubiased opinion. I stopped off a dealership to look around and spotted a blue g6 gtp coupe on the show room floor. I sat in it , the seats were leather and quite comfortable, overall ergonomics were comfortable, the quality and layout of the interior was quite nice. I looked to the back window and the blind spots were not as bad as I thought since I have read some reviews about them having dangerously bad blind spots, not that bad at all as long as you check all mirrors and look over your shoulder before changing lanes. This car was an automatic transmission, no manuals were available. I have been a G6 basher when it comes to looks, but the looks kind of grow on you and they do look better in person than photographed. One thing that still irks me is all the space between the top of the tires and wheel wells, that sucks. I was to get my whole fist in between the tires and wheel well. Thats just to much space on a passenger car, its just fine for 4 wheel drive SUV. If they could reduce the space to an inch or less the car would look

50% better in every profile angle. I told the saleman to pull it out of the showroom because I am going for a ride. Again behind the wheel I felt pretty much right at home. The response from just tapping the pedal is very noticable in just pulling out off the lot, steering and all is pretty tight just like I like it, didnt notice much torque steer. The bumbs and ruts in the road are felt but not annoying. On one stretch of road I stomped on it...it was ok but wasnt impressed. A few years ago I drove a 3.4 Grand Am GT with the ram Air setup and the 3.4 seemed quicker to me if I remember correctly, the 3.4 just seemed to snap and wind out more. The 3.9 in this car didnt seem to do that as much, but since I cant compare the 2 side by side I cant be sure. I just remember being quite impressed with that 3.4 ram air to the point of stomping into it several times just for the thrill. Also the 3.4 had a growl sound, this 3.9 just sounded like air, no growl from the mufflers which could also make it appear slower than it is. I didnt get a chance to hit that many curves but hit just a few, it wasnt totally flat but OK. To be fair I will omit the curve handling since I didnt really run it thru its paces on a curved road. Half way thru the ride the salesman tells me it also has the auto stik feature for performance driving, by this time I was in traffic so I didnt really get a chance to see the differences in the manual mode, I did briefly try it but wasnt to familiar with how it worked to really test it out. We arrive back at the lot. I also forgot to mention that GM has a paint problem because the cars paint was not smooth but has hints of orange peel all over it. I looked at the other G6s on the lot and they all had the same thing. I didnt think about looking at the Buicks paint finishes but it is possible they all had the same finishes. Is this a GM wide problem? The price tag on the G6 was 27K and some change. It was already reduced about $1k plus I think about $500 was to be reduced for incentives. Would I pay $27k for it? No. It that 15 min drive it was OK but I would not give GM 27k for it, maybe $21 or 22k but not 27k. The car did have a popup sunroof but not the new multipaneled sunroof. Somehow I think that multi paneled roof was not as ingenious as they thought it was and are now putting the regular popup sunroofs in them with the sliding inside panel to totaly block the sun. All in all its not a bad car, but it didnt really excite me. The new 3.9 also is unproven and we all know how GM likes to build cars with defective intake gaskets, will this also happen on the 3.9? I wont spend 27k to find out. So like I said for me to get one GM would have to make me an offer I cant refuse which is $21 or $22k max out the door. I do hope you enjoyed this review. If so please contact MotorTrend or Car and Driver and suggest they hire me as the lead car reviewer.
Reply to
Worthington J. Wilmington

Steve G.

That's very large engine for that car. Like many GM cars I suspect it suffers from a transmission of too few gears set up for maximum fuel mileage, making it unresponsive. I've noticed this many times over the years with GM rental cars.

Reply to
Spam Hater

I've read that Pontiac is stepping down G6 production because of lack of demand.

I was on their site and I could see why.

The Grand Prix, basic model, isn't much more than the high end G6.

The G6 is just too tiny a car -- I've seen a few around here and I was shocked how small it is. The big Pontiac-type grill makes it look like a kid wearing his parents shoes!

The Grand Prix is the car to get -- for a few dollars more, you get the real thing. Let Kia build the G6 type cars. The Grand Prix /is/ a real Pontiac!

Reply to
John Bailo

I would buy a G6 GTP Coupe if they knock off $5000 and give it a 5 year 50k mile warranty. Otherwise...no deal. They will sit on the lot and rust.

Reply to
Lumpy Rutherford

I was thinking G6, but agreed.

I would take a 2005 model at 10K -- mint condition and low milage.

But really, I'd prefer a new GP.

Reply to
John Bailo

no kidding. not many people will pay 27k for a grand-am, name change or not.

Reply to
RT