Mileage

Does anyone know what the average city and country road miles per gallon should be for a 1967 Pontiac Grand Prix with a 400CI engine? Auto/trans... Thanks, Lou snipped-for-privacy@charter.net

Reply to
Lou Sheeley

That will totally depend on the gear ratio of the rear axle and on the tires. Anywhere from 10 to 20 mpg I'd bet. GW

Reply to
Geoff Welsh

I would say closer to 10MPG. Those cars weigh at least 4000 lbs.

Reply to
Dennis Smith

snipped-for-privacy@some.rr.com

I was going to guess even lower, when I had a 77 351/auto it only got about

12 highway 6 city. Back in the 60's when gas was 15-20 cents per gallon I don't even think anyone paid attention to gas milage. I am guessing that someone with a 400 ci engine will also be driving with a leadfoot, not driving to conserve fuel. I recall that my father stated once that his town and country station wagon back around 1970 could go just over 100 miles on a fillup when pulling our travel trailer, that is something like 5 miles per gallon highway.
Reply to
john graesser

I meant 10 MPG if you driving it sanely. Yeah, if you get on it you could probably get gallons per mile. A few days ago I did a couple "high rate of acceleration" in my 71 T/A and used up 1/4 tank gas in less than a mile.

Reply to
Dennis Smith