Oops

After all the hard work put into the in-situ changing of the engine bearings in my beloved '92 Quad Four a self inflicted (presumably) problem has reared its ugly head. There is a hairline crack high up on the side of the oil pan just under one of the bolts. Can anyone suggest some neato Acme Pucky to smear on the crack and thus fix it forever? Otherwise it might be necessary to pull the pan and have the crack welded if possible. Would rather not got through the removal ordeal again if it can be avoided.

Incidentally the bearing replacement gained me an additional 5 psig oil pressure at idle. That's better than the 10 psig before, but not as much as I was expecting.

Reply to
Silver Surfer

What an ordeal... I have heard of people using JB Weld for various car repairs. Loctite Weld is used for some piping seals in storage tank fuel delivery systems. It is completely resistant to gasoline, diesel, and oil. Both are 2 part epoxy formulations. Sand or grind to as bare of metal as possible, clean with acetone, clean with 90% rubbing alcohol, dry, apply epoxy. There is also an epoxy for automotive gas tank holes & cracks.

Did you replace the rod bearings along with the mains?

Reply to
« Paul »

Use Marine tex.. It's been used to repair engine blocks, transmissions, etc.. I used it many years ago to repair a hole that appeared in a rear housing while drag racing.. It worked great..

Reply to
George King

A 50% increase in idle oil pressure is VERY significant As for the oil pan, you are going to have to remove it to make an effective repair. Likely better to get a used one from the wreckers than to attempt to have it welded - aluminum with oil in it is a royal pain to weld. Then, when reinstalling the pan, make sure everything is CLEAN and smooth, apply the gasket, and take up the torque on the studs/bolts evenly and gently

Reply to
nospam.clare.nce

Thanks for your suggestions. Access to the crack for proper prep is going to be a little dicey. Might have to take the pan back off. I love doing the same job twice. Don't you?

Yes, I changed the rod bear> >

Reply to
Silver Surfer

Never heard of this stuff before. Looked it up on the Web using Google. Seems like a decent enough product per the manufacturer's description and testimonials, although finding it here on the West Virginia coastline might be a little bit of a challenge for me. Thanks for the suggestion.

Reply to
Silver Surfer

I think that what happened to my oil pan is directly attributable to my cantankerous Craftsman torque wrench. For some inexplicable reason it will sometimes fail to click when the set torque is reached. Its behavior is completely unpredictable. This results in my applying too much torque to the fastener. I'm fairly certain that's what happened to the bolt near the crack, although it wasn't obvious that damage had occurred at the time I was tightening it.

Reply to
Silver Surfer