2001 Camry - How to Program all doors to unlock when put in park?

Hi, just bought a 2001 Camry XLE and would like to program it to have all doors unlock when I put the car in park. (right now only the driver side unlocks)

I am fine with them all locking when I shift out of park. but would like them to unlock when I park in my garage.

Can anyone tell me how to accomplish this. ( and yes, I know I can go to the dealer, but was wondering if I could do myself)

Thanks,

Jeff

Reply to
JeffS

You can check the factory service manual for your Camry at

Ray O

Wouldn't happen to have a link to Avalon manuals would you?

Reply to
Kicking Bird

Sorry, I'm not aware of any free on line Avalon manuals. You can get access to pay ones at Tundrasolutions.com and techinfo.toyota.com.

Or, you can be cheap like me and look at the Camry manuals to answer your Avalon questions. The Camry V6 engine and transmission info will for the most part apply to the Avalon.

Reply to
Ray O

Good idea- I'll take a look. Thanks.

Reply to
Kicking Bird

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ What's wrong with simply pushing the rear half of the rocker switch in the front of the window controls? And for locking, push on the front half of the same switch.

Reply to
mack

Any chance you might ever put it in park in a situation where there were people you would not want jumping into the car with you? Even a one in a million chance is a good enough reason to NOT program the car that way.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

I actually agree with Jeff on this one. When it's just me, I just use the key. But when with my family, I prefer to hit the fob only once so I can let my wife and children in. Both Lexus vehicles I have were programmed to unlock with just one push of the button. As a point of fact, the service and parts department of Lexus dealers will tell you that the lock actuators for the driver's door are replaced quite often due to excess wear. This is caused by the owners pressing the unlock button twice.

Reply to
Viperkiller

Then use your key rather than your key fob.

Reply to
Viperkiller

Read again what he said. He wants all the doors to unlock when he puts the car in park.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

"JoeSpareBedroom" opin'd thus:

There are some folks who, when asked certain questions, like how to disable the inane beeping from the seatbelt beeper or how to turn off DRLs, would rather preach than ANSWER THE DANG QUESTION!

Reply to
Don Fearn

Well said. Thanks

Reply to
Viperkiller

Referring now to the key, there is a reason why Toyota programs some cars so one turn of the key opens only the driver's door, and another turn opens all the others. It's called security. Believe it or not, there ARE times when you do NOT want all the doors to unlock. Programming them all to unlock when the shifter moves to PARK is inarguably a bad idea. If you cannot think of a situation where it's a bad idea, then the situation will probably find you one day, and you will learn.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

How come? Because someone didn't think through the programming carefully. Just for grins, can you think of a situation where you might put the car in park, and NOT want the doors to unlock? Just humor me for a moment. Can you think of such a situation?

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

I reprogrammed my 2005 Camry to unlock all doors when turning off the engine and lock all doors when shifting out of P. It's reprogrammable and there are several modes (4 or more). You just have to look thoroughly in the manual.

Reply to
ZR

Nah...that's not true, and that's not the most likely scenario. Never mind, though.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

One of the modes is "OFF" in which the car does nothing about the locks.

Reply to
ZR