Re: 94 GA-How hard to replace cracked cylinder

"Jeff" wrote

Well, I have the ever so known "cracked cylinder head) syndrom hit me > with 135,000 miles. Mechanic said that there is coolant in one of the > cylinder's...I forgot which one. > > I plan on attempting this myself after bying a new cylinder head.

Which engine? Has the fact that the head is "really" cracked been confirmed? Don't just go buy a cylinder head because there is coolant in one of the cylinders. Pull the head off and confirm what the problem really is.

Ian

Reply to
shiden_kai

I just want to give you this reminder of the job you are undertaking. This isn't like pulling a head off an old pushrod V8. It's DOHC with a long timing chain. So the head is sandwhiched so to speak between the block and the cam towers and cams. There is a LOT of work involved with this head removal. Almost everything has to come off. Power steering, fuel rail, just to name a couple. It's most likely the gasket, but could easily be the head, and if you were really unfornate, the block. Ian I'm sure can give you more details, I've never done this job, but I know it's a big one.

Tony

Reply to
Tony V.

Helminc (GM factory) manual is always best. Otherwise get both the Chilton's AND Haynes. GW

Jeff wrote:

Reply to
Geoff Welsh