Odometer problem ?

I have a 93 Grand Prix with the old analog odometer and trip odometer. After driving around for a little bit one day and the next I looked at the trip odometer and it didn't change from the 0000 that it reset to. And I think the odometer and trip odometer are related. So, any ideas ? TIA

Reply to
Phillip Schmid

Haha, I meant the display...my bad.

Reply to
Phillip Schmid

Okay... lost you. Rephrase your question?

Nick.

wrote

Reply to
Nick Trounson

I have a 93 Grand Prix with the analog display odometer and trip odometer. After driving around for a little bit one day and the next I looked at the trip odometer and it didn't change from the 0000 that it reset to. Any ideas ?

Reply to
Phillip Schmid

This probably sounds too simple. I just want to make sure though. Mine is reset by the somewhat long button, you just push it and it goes to

0000. There have been times, maybe three or four times when it's done this, and simply pushing the button again a little more like a jab cured my problem. It was simply as if something didn't catch the way it should.

Tony

Reply to
Tony V.

Oh, I'm pretty certain the two aren't connected in any way.

Tony

Reply to
Tony V.

Well this is solely from my experience... Being that your car is almost ten years newer than my Fiero, I don't imagine your car would use instrument cluster technology thats older.

The Fiero's trip odometer is indeed linked to the odometer in theory. Both take input signals from the VSS to calculate how many miles you have moved, and their individual stepper motors turn over the analog numbers.

When you push your reset button you're resetting your numbers, possibly disengages the stepper somewhat too? Jabbing it might just re-engage it tighter.

But yes, they do turn together technically - its all down to your VSS.

Nick.

Reply to
Nick Trounson