Re: Timing Effect on Oxygen Content

Got a quick query. How much effect does timing have on oxygen content?

>I'm trying to dial in an engine and am using an O2 sensor. It's a small >block Chevy V8 and the sensor reads rich, which is very much what I'd >expected re: rich smell, fouled plugs, atrocious mileage. The engine's new >and the carb's used but in excellent (visual) condition. > The carb's a 650cfm double pump Holley that's in very new condition (used >but still in original box) but got it from my machinist who drag races. The >jets indicate stock but who knows if somebody drilled them. The >distributor's a Mallory Comp 9000 and at this point who knows what the spark >curve's set to. > So, as I try to dial in the spark curve and fuel, I'm wondering, "Can the >timing curve significantly change O2? Am I trying to dial in the wrong >system first?" > Best Regards, > Drink >

Timing should have little effect on oxygen content. The oxygen content is determined by the fuel - air ratio going into the cylinders and that is controlled by the carb. Maybe re-jet it to be sure you have stock jets, then start adjusting the mixture screws.

Tom S.

Reply to
Tom S

If the carb was used on any sort of a "drag" motor... then it probably has the wrong power valve in it (or the power valve is damaged); and the power valve is opening during part throttle cruise. There's a description of how the power valve works here:

"See if this description sounds familiar: Your Holley-carbureted street car idles terribly, has taken to fouling spark plugs every week or so, the gas mileage absolutely sucks, and there's an ominous black cloud swirling from your exhaust."

I think you're supposed to select a power valve that's rated about 2" HG lower than whatever your part throttle cruising vacuum reading is:

"Tom S" wrote in message news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com...> On Sat, 27 Jan 2007 18:57:02 -0600, "James Drinkwater"> wrote:

Reply to
David Courtney