98 Pontiac Grand am problem

My Pontiac Grand am se 98 2.4 cylinder wants to die out on me when im at a red light, or i put it on stop sign. Then i press the gas pedal and it goes. The needle on the rpm that says 1 it flips up and down to 1 then the needle goes down to 0 like it wants to stop on me. It feels like the fuel is getting cut off, another words when i put my feet on the brake the car wants to stop the rpm needle goes down to 0 then jumps to 1. When im driving it or pressing the gas its fine on the highway. HELP!!!

Reply to
deb741

How recently were regular maintenance and tune-up items done? (fuel filter, air filter, spark plugs and plug wires.)

GW

Reply to
Geoff Welsh

If you figure this out let us know what the problem is. I have the exact same problem in my 97 Grand Am. I have the same engine and same symptoms. It's had regular maintenance, so I'm not sure what the deal is. Thanks. Randy

Reply to
Randy and Ann

Check for a vaccum leak. Is the check engine light on?

Reply to
Micah