911 windshield wipers?

My wife has an '84 911. The driver's-side wiper has always been a disaster

-- it's bowed in the middle so there's a swath about 4" wide (naturally directly in the line of sight) that the wiper completely misses. It's horrific trying to drive in snow in this thing.

She says changing out the wiper does no good, because within a week the new one is bowed too. The wiper rest position is to the left, and it hangs off the curved part of the windshield on the left side. Sitting against that curved windshield quickly bows any wiper you put on it.

I can't believe this is the way it's "supposed" to work, or Porsche would have been sued a hundred times over by people who couldn't see and crashed. There MUST be some way to make this thing work right. Any suggestions??

Thanks! Gary

Reply to
Gary Fritz

Use wiper with spoilers which should help to be pressed against the windshield by the force of wind when driving at normal speed?

Reply to
Piernicola Comuniello

Can't hurt, though it won't help much for in-town (low-speed) driving. I'll see if I can find something like that.

Any other suggestions? Didn't Porsche have something to address this, or did they just let all their owners drive blind in rain & snow!?

Gary

Reply to
Gary Fritz

I have forgotten the structure of the older wiper assembly's, so I am shooting from the hip here.

When the car is at rest, pull the wipers up off of the glass, to reduce the effects of the problem. You might already be doing this. Or put two wooden dowels (or flat chunks of wood) under each end to reverse the flex while parked.

Can you possibly bend the wiper arm slightly to take the pressure off of the middle portion of the wiper at rest? Or buy another arm to (maybe heat it) bend it.

What type of blade are you buying? Is there another brand that has a stiffer blade support to prevent the bow from occurring?

Can you reinforce the blade itself? Possibly a pain, but might be worth trying.

I remember a hack to change the wipers over to a right-rested position, rather than left. It requires some effort with changing around the motor, but this may be another (pain in the a$$) option.

Keep us posted.

DS

95 993 Coupe
Reply to
The Dead Senator

Well, that would undoubtedly help, but the hassle factor makes it unlikely to be implemented.

You could, but if you reduce the pressure on the arm at rest, you also reduce the pressure in use -- which means it isn't going to press the wiper against the glass very well. Not good.

Don't know on those.

Hm, I don't see how that would work. Either you leave the wiper pivot points where they are, meaning the blades are in the middle of the windshield all the time, or you move the wiper pivot points to a different spot. That would require body work and other na$$ties.

Creative ideas, but I don't think they will work for her...

Thanks, Gary

Reply to
Gary Fritz

have you ever had the wind screen replaced? are you the original owner? reason I'm asking is it sounds like what I experienced after the wind screen (wind shield) was replaced on our Jeep Cherokee. They had to remove the wiper arm and when they replaced it they did a poor job and it would crash into the cowling. Took a bit of fiddling but I got it right eventually.

Reply to
Low Life #3

I didn't mean to imply reducing overall pressure, but rather altering the angle of the pressure to better suit the rested position.

Hey, I am just here to run my crazy brain and just maybe something will help. I don't ever remember having this problem with my 79, so LowLife's question about windscreen replacement seems appropriate.

I am quite sure you misunderstood my suggestion about the wiper arm reversal, so here is an article about it:

A three beer rating. Doesn't seem so bad.

DS

95 993 Coupe
Reply to
The Dead Senator

Not orig> I am quite sure you misunderstood my suggestion about the wiper arm

Hm, you are right, I did. That does look promising. I didn't realize they would reverse so nicely. I think I'll look into that. Thanks!

Gary

Reply to
Gary Fritz