88 S-10 Blazer 4.3 Windshield wipers Question?

Can anybody tell me why my windshield wipers come for no apperent reason.Some times they come on with just turning the steering wheel other times when I turn on signal lights?If it is the turn signal switch it's self. Did they improve the design on these in later years?Because I have 88 Sunbird that does the same thing.They both have the cruise control and delay wiper function.I've seen this posted before are you guys just living with it,or is there a solution? Thanks Guys for any help on this Bobby

Reply to
bobby swift

My 85 S-10 blazer has done that exact thing for years. Somewhere in the way distant past I remember reading a post about this being caused by a bad / intermittent ground on the unit under the hood. I can't tell you if this is true or not as I have never trouble shot mine as it happens so infrequently. GM

Reply to
GM

If you're refering to the unit as in wiper motor...I drilled a small hole in part of the WM and grounded it to the firewall,because the orginal ground as you stated did lose connection.I wanted to get this problem fixed,before winter and ice freezes on the windshield,as they do come on sometimes just when I turn the key on.Thanks for the info. Bobby

Reply to
bobby swift

You might have a wire chafed inside the column, those will cause all kinds of wierd stuff too.

-- Old Crow "Yol Bolson!" '82 FLTC-P "Miss Pearl" '95 YJ Rio Grande BS#133, SENS, TOMKAT, MAMBM

Reply to
Old Crow

its a chevy piece of shit

Reply to
Chris

Thanks Crow it must be something like that.I drove it yesterday and wipers didn't come on.Soon as I get a chance I'll pull it a part.Later Bobby

Reply to
bobby swift

My '89 did that when it felt like it. More often in the hot weather than the winter. It did it for 150k miles, just a ghostly sweep of the wipers every now 'n then. They always worked when I turned them on so I never probed around, let sleeping dogs lay ya know...... My best guess is the park switch in the motor or the muli swt. .

Reply to
Repairman

Thanks Repairman...I'll leave it alone for now...I was wondering if ther might have been some type of upgrade on the part that would eliminate unwanted swoop.I remember a while back there was a posting on this,and if they ever cured their problem.Cheers! Bobby

Reply to
bobby swift