914 conversion questions.

Having driven a friends restored 914 2.0, i am considering purchasing one of my own. I would like to do a 6cyl conversion on the car, and include GT fender flares. I have several questions in this matter.

  1. Should i purchase an already restored 914 to do the conversion with, or purchase a 914 clunker that barely runs and do all the restoration work first. obviously there is no point in tearing up a quality restoration job if its un-nessecary? also its a bit of a waste of money. there are a few "as is" cars around that i've seen with limited rot and from what i can tell, limited sag.

  1. Should the car i purchse for the conversion be a 1.7 or a 2.0? I've seen conversions done for both so i'll assume it doesnt matter.

  2. What 6cyl engine should i look for in order to do the conversion? I assume it will have to be normally aspirated due to the limited space and to avoid having to put oil coolers in every crack. Is it simply a 911 motor? if so, what years?

  1. if there is anyone who has done this before, can you give me a ballpark as to what else i need to aquire in regards to parts and material nessecary for the conversion? (in addition to the motor itself)

  2. where is the best place to go to find said parts/ motor?

  1. if anyone has done this before, what approximate costs am i looking at so i can begin to budget out the cost for the project? $ in canadian funds would be appreciated, but is not nessecary.

Thanks for your time

Chris McCormack

Reply to
Chris McCormack

Chris-

As long as you're going to do a conversion, you really don't need a car with all of the numbers matchng -- because they won't anyway when you're finished. I've never done a conversion, but as a "Teener," I know you can do almost anything you want, depending on how much cutting you want to do. The key with any 914 chassis is no rust. Or at least, as little as possible. You're going to want something solid. Some dudes load in Chevy 350's.

Guys I've talked to, have said to go with at least a 2.7 or a 3.0, which will run you around $3000 more or less. Check the 914 Club web site. There are usually some solid 1.7's out there, that can be had for $2500-$4000. Basket cases go for a lot less. But you can always sell a decent runing 1.7 motor to a VW owner, looking to jazz up an old Beetle or a kit car.

A good source for all of this is Dave Darling on the Pelican Parts site.

Good luck! Mark in Fla '73 914S 2.0 (4)

Reply to
Mark

Automobile Atlanta has lots of conversion info and kits in their catalog, as well.

Bernard

Reply to
Bernard Farquart

thanks mark and bernard. i've got some reading to do, but it looks like the project will be a go for next summer. much appreciated.

Chris

Reply to
Chris McCormack