Blown Engine

I have a 1999 boxster and have not missed an oil change or service checkup. At 47K miles the engine seized up. 12K replacement. Apparently there is a heat sleeve on the manifold (to draw heat from the engine), that gets sucked into the engine if it comes loose. i asked why this was not checked at the 45K mile check if this was a known problem. The result is that Porsche is willing to give me 4K off the repair.

I am thinking of suing. Has anyone else had similar experience with this or any other major part that has pre-maturely fail when the vehicle was maintained?

All experiences with problems are welcome

thanks

Reply to
rifco_97

rifco:

Hundreds of 968's manual transaxles suffered from premature wear of pinion bearings due to too much pre load at assembly. Porsche never admitted the problem and very few owners with cars out of warranty received any financial help. We looked at class action, but it would have to be done separately in each state, so it never happened. Porsches make brilliant cars, but it is now run by accountants, they are destroying the quality reputation for the sake of few bucks. Regards, Martin

Reply to
Martin²

Had a 1999 boxster (bought 2nd hand in 2001) where the engine blew up after just 8K (only had 6K on the clock when I bought it). This happend in Houston, Texas and they installed a new engine free of charge (first time I ever used a car warranty). Was told that there's a problem with 1% of the

1999 2,5 engines. Didn't follow up on this any further. A friend bought the car in 2003 and it now has done 60K with no more problems.
Reply to
Jan Mikkelsen via CarKB.com

You sure it wasn't the well known cylinder liner failure that I just read about in the latest Panarama Magazine? PCNA replaced a LOT of engines from what I hear, would think they would continue to do so as it is a manufacturing defect.

Reply to
G. Patricks