Do you have a black steering wheel?

My Boxter has a black leather steering wheel. The hand brake and shift knob are also black leather. The rest of the interior is Savannah Beige. I bought the car used and the previous owners didn't really try to keep it nice. It wasn't trashed, but these leather items were slightly faded. I had been putting leather conditioner on tham but that didn't help the fading. I decided to try black liquid shoe polish on these leather parts. Why not? A shoe is leather. These are leather.

Well I think it turned out pretty nice. They are black again. Maybe a little blacker than normal and a little shinier than normal but I figure I will get used to that or it will begin to fade slightly again and lose some of the shine. I must be used to it already because I like how it turned out. I feel like I have a new steering wheel.

Make sure you protect other surfaces and just start painting it on. Let it dry for at least half an hour. The liquid requires no buffing. It might be a little sticky feeling at first but it's more like it has more grip.

Oh yeah, it's great on shoes, too! Practice on an old black pair first if you like.

Reply to
John Riley

No_rbuoncri snipped-for-privacy@ucla.edu (eliminate No_ _Spam_ for replys)

Reply to
Rbuoncri

I did not try shoe dye first. I've used this stuff on my dress shoes for years and it also covers or hides scuffs and scratches or other light wear. I'm not sure that the shoe dye alone would do that. This seems to have a dye in it.

Reply to
John Riley