STEERING WHEEL SHAKING?

My 2003 subaru legacy wagon (50k) is having this problem with a shaking steering wheel and a little pulling to the right side. About 2 months ago I got really nice new Goodyear tires and new brakes and rotars on the front. The shaking went away for a while and so did the pulling, but now 2 month later I am still having the same problems of a shaking steering wheel while braking at high speeds. I happen to take the car back to the have the brakes looked at and they said I need new rear roters and brakes. It just seems alittle fishi to me. Can someone please give me some advice or another possible solution? I am clueless...

Reply to
JEN4472

If it happens during braking, it could be rotors. When you replaced the old tires, if they looked evenly worn, likely your alignmnet is OK. Read the technical white paper at

called something like the myth of warped discs. Any heavy braking followed by holding the hot pads against the rotor - say - at a long light, can cause a spot on the rotor to have different properties that affects the feel of the brakes.

If you suspect the tires, have them rotated and see if the problem changes.

Carl

Reply to
Carl 1 Lucky Texan

Ah, great, thanks. I just had my rotors machined and the car generally now seems nicer in at least one respect that I couldn't put my finger on. Now I think it might be that the steering wheel judders even less, if at all (not that it ever much did). I hadn't thought of that connection.

-- Mark

Reply to
Mark T.B. Carroll

And have them rebalanced at the same time. A lost balance weight or improperly balanced tire can cause a shaking in the steering wheel. Doesn't take much to throw off the balance In winter, I even find the accumulation of snow and ice inside the rim really plays havoc with the balance and is a pain to dislodge.

..

Reply to
cloud dreamer