2000 Intrepid steering wheel deteriorating

40k miles, Intrepid ES trim package, with black fake leather/vinyl. Steering wheel seems to be deteriorating on the wife's Intrepid. She's rather large, the wheel rubs black goop on her clothes. Steering wheel covers want to grab clothes with this particlular cover. Could try another type, though.

Question is, do these steering wheels typically deteriotate that fast? I used an ammoniated cleaner, Dirt-tex and a clean rag, the black stuff kept coming off....

Since my wife is large, I need to get this fixed. Ideally, a smaller steering wheel would work best, to give her more room. I doubt that aftermarket steering wheels are legal, I assume the airbag neeeds to remain functioning, and seem to recall a minimum diameter steering wheel size mandated by the govt.

Any ideas? Appreciate it...

Paul

Reply to
Paul

Is it a leather wrapped wheel? Probably being ruined by your cleaner. I once started to ruin a wheel in a 94 LHS with a bit of windex I had used on the windsheild. Started to dissolve. I fixed it by covering it with a thick layer of Armorall leather cleaner/conditioner for a few minutes then wiped off. It was fine for years after that. I haven't seen Armoral leather/cleaner for a while but any of the thick conditioners might solve your problem.

Reply to
Art

Same thing happened to my 2000 Intrepid. At this point, with about

115,000 miles, about 30% of the veneer is gone, revealing the spongy interior. I doubt you can fix it.

You're simply removing layers of rubber.

Not an option. There is more than just the airbag inside, there is all kinds of crazy crap integral to the operation of the car, such as the cruise control switches, and the steering clock spring. I imagine you could get a factory original replacement (maybe they've improved it). However, Daimler Chrysler will gouge you for replacement parts. The clock spring inside alone cost me $175 CDN.

I just live with mine. Don't you have a tilt wheel?

How large?

Reply to
pawn

Go get one of those wrap-around lace-on steering wheel covers, or a circular stretch one to fit the wheel. Good point someone said about the tilt feature - that might help too. Good luck. Bob

stuff kept

Reply to
BeeP

Got out the grandpa glasses for a closer look, also confirmed it on the dealer sheet, the ES package has a leather wrapped steering wheel. I have some Meguiar's Gold Class rich leather cleaner/conditioner which ought to work as you described. Thanks for pointing out the obvious..... ;-)

Paul

Reply to
Paul

Do you have the ES package? Seems like the ES package has a leather wrapped steering wheel. With a tilt steering wheel, it still rubs against her clothes. She is pretty large.

Checked some online dealers with discounted Mopar parts, new steering wheel is $175. If a leather conditioner doesn't do the job, I can remove the leather and rewrap it.

Paul

Reply to
Paul

Sounds like a plan, if leather cleaning and conitioning it doesn't do the job, I'll be looking at that option.

Reply to
Paul

Also, didn't think of all the intregal components in the steering wheel. Man, old age is getting to me.......

Paul

Reply to
Paul

There is no Federal law against removing or disabling the airbag in your own car, though a few states have laws against it. There is no mandatory steering wheel minimum diameter, either. That said, it's doubtful you'd find a steering wheel appreciably smaller than stock that would fit the column.

You say the steering wheel rubs on her *even* with the tilt wheel all the way up, *even* with the seat all the way back?

Has it been considered that the solution may not lie in any changes to the steering wheel?

DS

Reply to
Daniel J. Stern

Holy crap, paul! In an Intrepid???