help Needed please...Why Is There an air lock?

Can somebody please explain to me why the Porsche 944 is prone to air locks in the water system. Having worked on Vauxhalls most of my life they never have this problem. Yet my 1989 944S2 appears to be suffering from a major air lock.

I bought the car and it needed a paint job so I finally got that done now I'm on the mechanical side. The car ran but the temperature gauge went up to the red. I have flushed the system and the fans are working too but nothing seems to cool it down I thought that the thermostat may be faulty but was surprised to see that the previous owner had taken it out. I assumed that without the thermostat the car would actually run a lot cooler but it's still hot.

I changed the cap on the header bottle and tried bleeding the system but still no joy. I rang a local garage and they said that on the 928 if the thermostat was removed it would run hotter because the system was designed that way. He was unaware if the same thing would happen on the 944 so I thought I'd ask the experts here.

I have ordered a new thermostat but I'm curious to a few things.

How can you bleed the system when the Thermostat is cold and you are unable to access some of the water in engine? why do Porsche's suffer from air locks when other cars don't? My garage recommends that I bled the system with the engine of and cold and open the bleed valve. They suggest I keep pouring water into the hear tank until I get a constant trickle of water from the bleed valve. They say this is a long job but do you guys have any suggestions that may help.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Reply to
944 owner

This has been a long discussed problem with the 944's and although I haven't had one in years, I can tell you that removing the thermostat has never been mentioned as a legitimate part of the solution. Also...as I recall, you have to get the car up to operating temperature (thermostat open), and open the heater valve (turn it on inside the car) and open the bleeder cap or valve that's on one of the top hoses.

I'm sure one of our more experienced 944 owners can help you out. If you don't get the info you need, try the forums at

or
and I'll bet the topic has been brought up in some detail.

Regards from Texas...

Reply to
Weekend Guru

I fielded a lot of grief about this last time I responded, but the best way I've found to purge the air from the system is to loosen the bleed screw on top of the engine and blow into the fill hole. I just love my car so much that I don't mind giving it a b-job when it needs one.

Fred

Reply to
Fred Aston

Reply to