Importing Boxster into Califonia - Any problems?

I am thinking of buying an out of state 97/98/99 Boxster and importing it into California because I have friend who gets good deals in Georgia and Florida. Can anyone tell me whether there are any issues doing that? Do non-CA cars pass CA smog tests okay, for example? Are there any other problems?

TIA

Dan

Reply to
Dan

There will be no problem unless it is a grey market car. Porsche only builds

50 state cars and has since the 80's. One big hint for you...do not register the car until after 90 days of purchase. You MUST tell the DMV the car was from out of state and you needed to repair it before transfer to California...if you do register it within 90 days, you will pay full sales tax on the purchase no matter if you paid it in the state you bought it from.
Reply to
Devils944S2

I dont really follow you . Could you go into a little more detail?

Thanks

Dan

Reply to
Dan

OK Dan...here is the skinny...if you buy a car in Florida, you will pay Florida sales tax on it. If you buy it as an out of state buyer, you will be charged no tax on it. In this scenario, you would transport the car to California and register it there. You would then be responsible for the sales tax on it. A $25000 Boxster will cost you another $2K. Now...there is (hopefully not was) a loophole. If you buy the car in Florida and leave it in Florida for 90 days, California will not charge you sales tax. Or, like me, bring the car into California, leave the old plates on it. Drive VERY carefully and on the 91st day register it. You will have to lie to the DMV..."Yes Sir/Ma'am, I was having it repaired in Florida and just got it this past weekend. Didn't know about the 90 day rule. Just got lucky I guess."

Reply to
Devils944S2

Thanks for the tip.

Dan