lotus elise

I live in the UK and a friend of mine has a Lotus Elise, I think he's had it for about three years. Right now he commutes every day in it and I don't think he's ever had any problems with it, except for a land rover not seeing him once and reversing over the front of it!

I don't know about anywhere else, but there was a saying here that LOTUS stood for 'Lots Of Trouble, Usually Serious' - but these days that seems to be a thing of the past. They're very simple cars, there's not a lot to go wrong!

Chris.

Reply to
Chris B

:> : lightest sports car (under a ton) vs porsche 3000lbs+. :> : costs only 40k. :> : mid-rear engine. :> : better gas mileage. avg 25 :> : british, european name. :> : fun to drive. :>

:> : what do you guys make of this, in regards to all sports cars...and in :> : competition against porsche. :>

:> When I was looking for a second porsche, I at first thought I wanted a :> lotus :> espirit... the late 80's models were very reasonably priced but one thing :> I :> noticed was all of them were low mileage cars... in talking with many :> owners :> I realized there was a reason for that and it wasn't good... the owners :> of :> the cars told me i'd never be able to afford to put 154k miles on it like :> I :> have on my Porsche just because of how often things break. :>

:> I know the Elise has the Toyota Celica motor so that might make it a bit :> more reliable, but I suspect we'll find out in 2 years if they are cars :> that can be driven as often as a Porsche or if they are Sunday drivers.

: I live in the UK and a friend of mine has a Lotus Elise, I think he's had it : for about three years. Right now he commutes every day in it and I don't : think he's ever had any problems with it, except for a land rover not seeing : him once and reversing over the front of it!

: I don't know about anywhere else, but there was a saying here that LOTUS : stood for 'Lots Of Trouble, Usually Serious' - but these days that seems to : be a thing of the past. They're very simple cars, there's not a lot to go : wrong!

My Triumph TR6 I thought was a simple car too... yet electrical issues were a big problem over time.

Reply to
Chicago Paddling-Fishing

I understand you electrical problems with the triumph. I think the reason most Brits drink warm beer is because Lucas makes your refrigerators!

Joe

Reply to
<josephgliebe

Warm beer! This really needs to be stopped. I don't know anyone over here that drinks warm beer. I don't think they serve it. Really, please stop with the warm beer!

What's this about Lucas making our refridgerators as well?! Eh!??!

Chris.

Reply to
Chris B

Ah, yes -- "Lucas the Prince of Darkness..."

Reply to
Pmouse

I had a TR-6 that was pretty much trouble free. I did all the work, and had to do very little of it. Got rid of it after 20 years just because I was tired of it and wanted a Porsche. Otherwise, someone got a very reliable, fun car.

Back to the subject, a friend of mine has a Lotus and loves it, but it's not really a daily driver. I've driven a real Lotus Europa, and it was the most fantastic car I've ever driven. Handled like a slot car. Problem was, nobody can see you down there.

But, as someone already said, it's not fair to compare a Lotus to a Porsche. One is a fun car with few creature comforts. The other may have too many creature comforts, but their longevity and high resale value has been proven over the years. And, if you are only going to go with price and handling, there are many cars that can take a Porsche to task for a lot less money. But, let's see how well they hold up over 25 or 30 years.

Reply to
Sheldon