porsche

hi

i have a question to you die hard porsche enthusiasts...

do you consider the porsche 911 to be the only 'true' porsche?

all the other models are not truly porsches?

Reply to
Lawrence

Lawrence...probably a troll, but here goes...

Why would the 911 be the only "true" Porsche? Are you saying or implying the

356 is not/was not a "true" Porsche? After all it was first. What constitutes a "true" Porsche? Built in Germany, all fit that bill. (except some Boxsters). All designed by Porsche in Stuttgart? All fit that bill. All say Porsche on the title? All fit that bill. So to answer your question, ALL official releases from the factory are "true" Porsches.
Reply to
Devils944S2

I agree, but are you sure the 356 was the first "porsche" ? What about the Porsche 64? Again i guess this opens the debate to how you define "true porsche"

ps Got any pics of your S2? I have one also (Cabriolet)

Adam.

Reply to
AdamG

'true' porsche meaning...the heart, soul, and foundation of what defines a porsche

Reply to
Lawrence

Well then Lawrence, you have your answer...every car designed and built by Porsche has all of those qualities. The 911 wasn't even the founders favorite model, so what does that tell you? Every Porsche built has a niche somewhere and are all of the highest quality. Each model was designed with a specific purpose in mind and was successful in achieving those goals.

Reply to
Devils944S2

Adam,

Here you go!

Reply to
Devils944S2

how come on the porsche.com website there's no info on the gt2, or gt3 models?

Reply to
Lawrence

Someone else will have to fill you in on that, but I assume they are no longer in production?

Reply to
Devils944S2

A few weeks after I bought my 951 (I got it in 1989 when it was three years old), I was having lunch with some friends, and one of them felt compelled to opine that mine wasn't a "real" Porsche because it had been manufactured at an Audi factory. I detected a strong odor of sour grapes coming from him. :-)

Patty

Reply to
Patty Winter

i want to buy a porsche.

i need to weigh many factors though.

i don't want overkill - overspend. there's no sense in using a machine gun to kill a fly.

is a 911 twin turbo s cab $140,000+ porsche too much in all aspects to drive as an everyday driver?

i'm thinking a $40,000 boxster would more than suffice to transport me from street to street, highway to highway, and sometimes trips across the city.

it's not like i can ever realize the true potential of a 140g+ porsche on normal everyday activity driving, so wouldn't one say a boxster is more of a fit?

Reply to
Lawrence

Nice! just like mine :) Although no offence but im not a fan of those rear bumpers.. We have the euro one fitted here in australia.

Reply to
AdamG

That is true, somewhat. Porsche rented the space from Audi because the demand for the 944 was so high. Here in the states, it was a several month wait. What Mr. Grapes never mentions is the fact that the car was built by Porsche employees...

I like to use this line with those people...If Britney Spears recorded an album at Electric Ladyland studios, would the album be just as good as any Hendrix album recorded there? After all, they were made in the same place?

By the way, the Audi factory was chosen, not only because it was empty, but is only 10 miles from Stuttgart.

Reply to
Devils944S2

Adam...would love to see the Euro bumpers. The website you sent me shows no pictures. I am not sure if it is my security settings or what. I will try from my laptop later tonight.

Reply to
Devils944S2

Hah, that I didn't know. In any event, the "it only counts if it was made in Zuffenhausen" attitude is stupid.

:-)

And similarly, if Jimi Hendrix recorded somewhere else, would his record not be as good because he hadn't done it at Electric Ladyland?

Patty

Reply to
Patty Winter

Nope, not just you. The links are broken. I even went into the page source and tried some of the photo URLs directly; still no luck.

Patty

Reply to
Patty Winter

Sorry guys that website must be having server problems, there is a lot of other cars on there without their pictures showing too.. some are, some not. Ive put some here so maybe try here instead..

The bumpers are similar but i dont think they stick out as far as the US ones, and the rubber strip is thinner and goes all the way across.

Adam.

Reply to
AdamG

Yeah, you're right. I didn't realize there were regional variations.

Those cabriolets sure are pretty. :-)

BTW, my 1986 951, Pfeffer, just turned 100K a few weeks ago.

Patty

Reply to
Patty Winter

Thanks, It looks even prettier when its going. Its been sitting in the garage the last couple of weeks waiting on a clutch. So can't wait to get behind the wheel again. My S2 cab has i think 152,000 (95k miles) kilometers on it now. I heard the rubber centered clutch was good for around 150k ..seems accurate! :) I would like to get a 951 as well as the cab but somehow im not sure how i'll get that past my other half.

Adam.

Reply to
AdamG

ALL of the engines were made in Zuffenhausen, the "not a real Porsche" thing comes from cars not assembled in Stuttgart.

Thing is, this argument is relatively new. It used to be "If it is water-cooled it is not a "real" Porsche. And, we all know what happened to that argument. So onto plan II, the manufacturing sight. It just is ridiculous.

Reply to
Devils944S2

Absolutely. The ultimate irony may well be the Carrera GT, which is built at Leipzig. Anybody think it's not a "real" Porsche?

Reply to
Jim Keenan