VW vs. Porsche question

Is there a website that will do a comparison of the old vw engines vs. an old porsche engine?

I am having a discussion with someone that says the only similarities are they are both rear mounted and both air cooled.

Thanks in advance...

Chuck

Reply to
Chuck

There are lots of similarities besides those. Specially on older ones. The differences become quite obvious on not so old engines, and Type IV's

Reply to
Karls Vladimir Peña

Reply to
jimt

I don't know of a website with a specific comparison.

The original Porsche cars actually had Volkswagen engines and transmissions. Porsche did add dual carburetors. The actual use of VW powerplants and transmissions probably stopped after around 1951--maybe sooner, and Porsche started making it's own engines.

The original Porsche engine used in the 356 and 912 is similar to a VW engine, but there's little parts interchange.

Reply to
Viking

I have both, a 71 Super Beetle & a 66 912. They are both aircooled, designed by the same people, and that is really all they in common. They can use the same distributers, & the oil pressure sender is the same, I can't think of anything else that is interchangeable. Late 68 & 69 912s do use the same generator as my

71 SB, but 65 - early 68 use the same smaller size generator as the old 6 volt VWs but its 12 volt.

Jim

Reply to
Fred Kat

Hi

If memory serves, the original 356 engine was slightly smaller in capacity, compared to the beetle engine of the time this was to conform to the racing standards of the time. The later engines in the 1300, 1500 and 1600 form differed not only from their Vw cousins but also between certain years as Porsche continually improved the engines. The stroke and bore size for one is different. The heads were also different and provided a more efficient combustion of the fuel therefore allowing higher compression ratios. The Porsche crankshafts and camshafts were also different allowing for a more free revving engine compared to stock VW at the time. The case material was a much stronger magnesium/aluminium alloy (for the price paid this was not surprising) and this meant it was not always necessary for a Porsche engine to be align bored when overhauled!

Hope my info about right and answers your question!

Regards Kevin

Reply to
Kevin