Price for 993s?

In California. Any downsides to the last of the air cooled 911s? Price range?

Reply to
REInvestments

They range in price from the low 30s to mid 50s. Usually the variocam model is recommend, which is 1995 on. Consider the best of the air-cooled (though I'm of the opinion that's actually the '89 Carrera). Emanuel

Reply to
E Brown

This buyers guide should tell you anything you need to know.

Paddington

That's about right on value and perhaps even less. Regardless, it's dropped too fast for my tastes. Mine is still a fun car, so I don't care...too awfully much. Are we talking Variocam or VarioRam? In either case, I believe both appeared in the 911 with the 1996 U.S. models. Though Variocam was already a part of the 968 lineage. These particular 911s are also OBD-II cars. OBD-I cars like mine or the earlier 964, are easier to chip and the HP difference could potentially be regained there. One could argue in favor for either case, but the newer the car, the better, generally speaking. One could also argue with great validity that the 1989 model is amongst the greatest of the 911 cars, but the looks of the 993 are quite a bit more alluring to me. But, of course, that is subjective.

DS

95 993 Coupe
Reply to
The Dead Senator

Argh! I've been reading upon 968s and other water-cooled cars since getting the 944 and mixed them up. You're right, I meant VarioRam.

I think the 993 is the best-looking of the Porsche family, but the

911 lineage is more diluted after 1989. One reason so many people do body-kit updates and engine swaps to earlier 911s is that the line is very similar from 1969-1989. I'm personally of the opinion that once Porsche started using 964, 993, 996 and so on, they stopped making 911s. The cars are still great, but the design is too different (imo) to keep calling them 911s for anything more than marketing purposes. Emanuel
Reply to
E Brown