Re: power to manual steering convert

Ok, my stock power steering on my 86 944T needs a lot of work. I'm contemplating on either fixing it, or replacing the darn thing with a manual steering one. This is my autocross, DE, & work car. They say switching it to manual will make it hard to steer. I have manual steering on my 911sc and it feels just fine to me...

any comments/suggestions???

Gambit, ...

#36 Porsche 951, 911SC Targa, Shelby GLHS... ABS is for people who don't know how to drive

Reply to
Gambit

My power rack went out. I drove it a couple of days when it was not working before I replaced it. It was very hard to drive. It took a lot of effort in turns to the point I was over steering it. A sraight manual rack might be easier though. "Gambit @hotmail.com>" Ok, my stock power steering on my 86 944T needs a lot of work. I'm

Reply to
Jetson

"Gambit @hotmail.com>" Ok, my stock power steering on my 86 944T needs a lot of work. I'm

Your 911 doesn't have an engine on the front tires that makes it hard to steer; stay with the power - a manual box will have to have a slower ratio than the power, which will make it harder to autocross.

Floyd

Reply to
fbloogyudsr

Ah, that's one of the answers I'm looking for /steering ratio/... I have two more paydays before I'll make my decision /cost is another factor/. Until then, I'm still open to suggestions... Thanks everyone's for your replies...

ABS is for people who don't know how to drive... The shortest way from one point to the other is in my car

Reply to
Gambit

the 944 needs the power assist just to be able to steer....

for an example, turn off the engine and try to turn the steering wheel..it is damn near impossible if the car is tanding still...

the combination of small sterring wheel and the engine in the front add to the difficulty... once rolling though it becomes managable...

DC

Gambit >

Reply to
D Corley