1971 911 Stalls after 15 Minutes...

Need help.

My 71 911 stalls after 15 minutes (or so) of driving. It drives great, then the tach jumps all around then to 0 and the engine starts to backfire and sputter and becomes un-drivable If I sit for a while, it will start and drive fine. What's the problem. It has dual Webbers. What can I do to narrow down the problem? Is there some relay that might get hot and make the tack go crazy and cut the power? Is this a carburetor problem? Fuel pump issue?

I really need help because the summer is almost over and I want to drive it....

Thanks much.

Dave

joy

I had a similar problem with my 73 911. It would die for no reason, usually when at full throttle. The problem turned out to be a clogged secreen in the gas tank. I simply poked a small hole it and the car has run great ever since.

Good Luck

Chris

1973 911 E
Reply to
C McFaul

Probably the points and condenser. I've had that happen a few times. Replace and properly gap.

Reply to
911

Good point. Bad points ;) I replaced 2 sets on my '72 911T that failed in a similar manner (stalls, tach jumps) It's been many years since I owned the car. Wish I still had it!

Reply to
911