66 power steering problem

I have a 66 model Mustang with a 289 Engine. My wife would also like to drive it, so I bought a complete power steering set (2nd hand). I was assured it was from a 66 Mustang. However, the bracket for the pump doesn't fit on the engine.

I can think of 3 reasons:

- the set is not for a 66 mustang

- the bracket is from a 1966 Mustang, 67 model

- the bracket is for a 6 cylinder engine

I've taken pictures of both the bracket and the pump:

Any idea what's the matter?

I also still haven't found the right double pulley for on the crankshaft. The one the sold me was to big. I assumed the belt to the powers steering pump goes on the most forward ring (where the belt goes around), correct?

Thanks in advance,

Michel

Reply to
Michel

That doesn't look like a bracket for a 289. I have a '67 289 Galaxie and a '68 302 Galaxie and they both have the same power steering bracket and pump. They look nothing like your bracket or pump. I've seen some I6 Mustangs (my friend's mom has a '72 or '73, I forget which), but I don't recall ever paying too much attention to the power steering. Whenever I touched them it was not to fix anything involving the power steering so I never paid much attention to it. In any case, I bet you've got an I6 bracket and pump there.

Here are some pictures of what you should need. This is on my '67 Galaxie so it may be slightly different for a Mustang, but I'd imagine the bracket at least is the same.

Close-up:

Others that may help:
I hope you find what you need. If it were me in your situation I'd probably end up doing the same thing, though I'd try to get the wife to drive the manual steering. She would get used to it and get stronger, which can have

*other* benefits. *wink wink, nudge nudge*

It's not bad so long as you let the car roll when you steer, though parallel parking my Galaxie without power steering now that I broke the threads on the bracket (oops) was a bear. I was out of breath, especially since I screwed it up and had to pull out and try again then adjust a bit. That was the first and last time I tried parallel parking without power steering in that car. It wouldn't be bad if I didn't have to be pushing the fluid around too, and if I had a lower ratio manual steering gearbox.

I remember when it had power steering I used to drive in the city (Philadelphia) all the time (girlfriend's school and my work) and could slip into spaces barely longer than the car. My girlfriend would always get scared, especially when I did it in the winter. Once during the 'blizzard' last winter I was sliding backwards about to hit the car behind me and my brakes wouldn't get any grip so I just gunned it and spin the tires to hold me in place until they got down to pavement and would hold the car. That was unnerving, wondering if I would slide into the car behind me or slam into the car in front of me! Not one of my brighter ideas, but I wasn't gonna walk far in _that_ weather! Hell, on the way into the city we musta passed at least 10-15 accidents.

Anyway, I hope the pictures help ya out. So you can find what you need. Hopefully some of the stuff you bought will work, probably just need the right pump and bracket. Good luck with your car!

Cory

Reply to
Cory Dunkle

This power steering bracket is NOT a '66's and is likely not even Mustang. It looks more like a Mid 1970's Granada/ Monarch. Look on the bracket for a part number. I will most likely start with a D and look like D5DC-35XX-XX ( X denotes unknown number/ letter) Regardless the seller has sold you incorrect parts and you should be looking to get your money back. If you find a part number post it here. StuK

Reply to
Stuart&Janet

Thanks guys!

You've c HBA 6

FII

24M 12B

The one on Cory's pictures has a much bigger measuring / filling tube on it as mine has. (no wink wink, nudge nudge intended :)))

I agree it would be better for her to drive the car without power steering. But she's a bit intimidated anyway with the size and power of the car. Also, the planning people here in Holland have fallen in love with roundabouts. They think this is the solution to all there problems. And the roundabouts here can be very small and abundant.. I know what my wife would say after driving around about 6 of them and it wouldn't involve any wink wink, nudge nudge, I can tell you that!

The power steering came in 2 boxes, the large one (with all the steering parts) was labeled 66 Mustang, 2 boxes. The other box (without any text on it) contained the pump and the bracket. So I think I may have gotten the wrong 2nd box...

BTW, is US$ 500,- a good deal for a complete power steering kit in a very good condition if it had been the right one?

Greetings from Holland,

Michel

crankshaft.

Reply to