Re: "stealth" radar installation-MB

I think that the tech guy didn't define the situation very well.

It's been awhile since I took physics, but I think that the light needed to illuminate an object increases greatly as you move further way.

So for instance, if you move from 1 to 11 meters from your plate, the flash needs to be 100 times greater to ensure a similar illumination.

Not sure of the ratios --- but I'm positive of the principle.

If you shoot a flash from 10 feet away with your digital, the amount of lumens from the flash on the intersection's camera to equal your flash would have to be extraordinary.

MatBo

> >Does anyone have any feedback on the products found at: > >
>I purchased their spray and the plate shield (Photoshield). I am not >entirely convinced that the spray works. I took some digital flash >photos of my car at night in the driveway. I found that at an angle, >the spray worked and obscured my plate. Straight on, it was not so >good... it gave only a partial or little reflection leaving my plate >readable. > >I asked the company tech guy about it (and sent him the photos), and his >reply was that a flash on a home digital camera is only intended for >10-15 feet, and that the flash used in photo radar is 10X stronger and >brighter...therefore it would reflect using that type of flash. > >I am not sure if I believe this or not...while it may make sense in >theory,I don't really want to test it in the real world. How about >daytime traffic light or photoradar...wouldn't that need a lower flash >level? Does the equipment adjust for ambient light? > >I am tempted to respray and add more product, but don't know if this >helps or hurts the performance. It does dull the plate, and it looks >like it is starting to build up. I put 5 or 6 coats on the plate (two >separate plates 6 each). > >The Photoshield cover works as advertised... the only negative comment I >would have is that it is not as "undetectable" as stated. You can see >that there is something "distorting" the plate if you got out of your >car beheind me, and were walking up to my car (as a cop would do at a >traffic stop). > >I am unsure if it is truly legal (the plate cover)... while it may be >technically legal, it might get you hassled for using it. > >I welcome any comments or advice from people who have used it or know >more about traffic light or stationary photo radar. > >thanks, > >Rich
Reply to
MatBo