used Cayenne with 30K miles - should I buy it?

The local dealer knows I want an "S", but can only afford a V6. I told him I'd rather wait for a used "S"... He called me today, to tell me about a customer of his who wants to trade in their 2004 silver/gray S, with Navi, with

30,000 miles on it, for a Turbo. (The owner replaced his 911 with a 911 Turbo last fall, and is hungry for the Cayenne Turbo now) The owner bought the "S" last fall, and because he is afraid of flying, has put 30K miles on the "S" already. The trade is supposed to happen within the next month, so I have yet to see the "S" in question, but the dealer told me he's making enough dough on the sale of the Turbo that he'll sell me the "S" for $45,000, or $46,500 with the extended warranty. What do you all think? If the car is in good shape, is it a good deal? What things can I be expecting to need to repair/replace already? Tires? Brakes? Is there a 30K mile service? Help!

Randy

Reply to
Randy S

NO ! Well, I wouldn't be seen dead in one of those things...

Reply to
Martin²

Second!

Reply to
Bernard Farquart

Since the Cayenne is relatively new to the used car market, there probably isn't a lot of real world experience on how they're holding up.

30,000 miles on a 2004 is probably one of the higher mileage examples around. If they're freeway miles that's certainly better than if they're in town or off road miles......I couldn't find the Cayenne listed on the used side of Kelley's web site, although they have it on the new side.

Tires are probably getting close if they're not due now - if they're close have the dealer put on new ones as part of the deal.

An S with Navigation is a low $60K car MSRP new (depending on other options), so either price looks attractive on its face, assuming the car is in good shape. Check out rennlist.com and go to the Cayenne forum.

Reply to
Jim Keenan

My dealer offered me my choice of 3 different 2003's for $50K right after I bought a 2003 Boxster S last spring. Those were Brand New and that was before trying any barginning. Sounds like your dealer wants almost the same as what my dealer wanted for a similar Cayenne BN. Although, there is no way I would ever recommend buying from the same dealer I did (Holtz in Rochester, NY). Worst dealer I have ever purchased from!

So, in short, your dealer is high on his price.

Reply to
Dan

Don't go for the Porsche, buy the better deal: the VW Toureg (sp?) In almost all respects, it's a better vehichle. Cheaper insurance, good off road ability, better resale, and nearly the same SUV.

Better still, don't buy an SUV.

Reply to
bmwloco

I drove the Touareg; didn't like it all that much. I'm not an SUV person, I prefer sports sedans, but I can see the added value in an SUV (cargo-carrying and AWD). The other vehicle I'm considering is the new BMW 5-series. If Porsche made a four-door sports car (sedan), I'd likely buy it for the handling. I'd love to have a 911, but my budget and lifestyle (can't have a two-door, with as many people that are often in my vehicle). The only reason I like the Cayenne is that it drives more like a sports car than an SUV. No, it's no 911, but it's closer than even maybe the new 5-series is, plus has more space, AWD, better sound system, better interior, and a V8 for cheaper (I've seen the Cayenne S, new, for less than $52,000) than the 545i.

Randy

Reply to
Randy S